Poor Sound Chips
2 (8.7%)
Fogging In 3D
0 (0%)
Other?
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: July 19, 2012, 19:29:56 PM

Author Topic: Most Annoying System Limitation In Gaming?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
Re: Most Annoying System Limitation In Gaming?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 20:43:29 PM »
I voted 'slow down' because, imho, it serves to ruin the immersive experience of games more than any other feature.

Jaggies may look ugly, sprite flickering may grate, jerky scrolling may hamper gameplay at times, fogging on N64 was just plain funny, pop-up isn't a particular hindrance, colour clash was bearable and often worked around on the Speccy, etc. All annoying but tolerable to a greater or lesser extent. Slow down just kills the gameplay experience though.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 18:08:07 PM »
I really am surprised to see I was the only person who voted for sprite flicker.

I was playing some NES games for review purposes recently and some games are near enough unplayable because the flicker is so bad.

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 18:33:19 PM »
I just haven't played many games with sprite flicker. Or if I have I don't remember. Slowdown however is something that tons of console games have from every era.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 18:38:24 PM »
If you use a black and white television the sprite flicker is not as noticeable.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 21:55:08 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
If you use a black and white television the sprite flicker is not as noticeable.
That's interesting.  I wonder why that is?

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
    • http://www.CarolVsGhost.com
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 22:27:49 PM »
Being an Intellivision guy, the limitation that annoys me the most is the 20Hz frame-rate of old Intellivision games using the built-in "Exec" operating system.

This translates into a game-cycle that updates only 3 times a second, causing the game to run slow--even at their fastest speed.

The worst of all symptoms tied to this limitation is that the controller is polled slower than what would be good, making the game feel sluggish.

dZ.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 22:39:12 PM »
Quote from: "DZ-Jay"
Being an Intellivision guy, the limitation that annoys me the most is the 20Hz frame-rate of old Intellivision games using the built-in "Exec" operating system.

This translates into a game-cycle that updates only 3 times a second, causing the game to run slow--even at their fastest speed.

The worst of all symptoms tied to this limitation is that the controller is polled slower than what would be good, making the game feel sluggish.

dZ.

This is indeed a very common complaint I hear about Intellivision games.  Thankfully, homebrewers like you have better options today to program better games.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 16:05:18 PM »
Slowdown can be annoying but I've seen it used to great effect in shmups - particularly in boss deaths (e.g. Radiant Silvergun). As long as it is occasional it doesn't break a game.

But nothing makes a game more unplayable than flicker. Nothing worse seeing hardware being pushed too far - and that's why it gets my vote.

I'm baffled at the Nintendo controller hate - I find that odd - I get on with most controllers. I can see how some ports of games to the GC would be problematic though - but playing something like Super Monkey Ball on the GC shows how superior the GC pad can be with the right type of game. The only controller issues I have is when the developer doesn't let you configure your own controls - nothing worse when you keep getting fire and jump mixed up in one game because they are the opposite of another game you have been recently playing. I also get annoyed with games that don't let you reverse up and down in a 3D game.

The DC controller's dpad is abysmal.

I also hate the fact that paddle controllers have gone - too many broken Arkanoid ports because of that - though some Wii games have used the remote as a paddle pretty successfully (Bit Trip Beat for example).

Lack of high score saving is something else I will find irksome - Darius Gaiden on Saturn being one culprit that stands out.

Finally - and I find it odd it isn't in the list - are load times. They break a game for me and I have returned games because of them (Bust a Move 4 on PS1 for example). Lengthy load times would be number 2 on my list.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 00:20:37 AM »
Quote from: "davyk"
Finally - and I find it odd it isn't in the list - are load times. They break a game for me and I have returned games because of them (Bust a Move 4 on PS1 for example). Lengthy load times would be number 2 on my list.

Good shout this actually and I probably should have included it, the one that spring to mind for me is Primal Rage on the Jaguar CD - the loading times are absolutely horrendous.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 15:09:45 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "davyk"

Good shout this actually and I probably should have included it, the one that spring to mind for me is Primal Rage on the Jaguar CD - the loading times are absolutely horrendous.

Yeah, as a Neo Geo CD owner I know all about long load times! Most games aren't too bad but some of the larger fighting games are pretty much ruined because of it.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 22:24:21 PM »
Flicker for me.

I disklike slowdown too - especially if it breaks the game and constantly happens. It is actually deliberate in some Cave and Treasure games and that isn't an issue for me in those instances.

In a driving game, pop up is pretty inexcusable. If it means you have to learn the track then the game is broken and may as well just be a series of left and right arrows flashed up on the screen in sequence instead of drawing a track.

Roadside detail isn't so bad - it's when the road pops up - depends on the draw distance too of course.

Offline Katzkatz

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 19:00:27 PM »
It's close for me between slowdown and jerky scrolling(they can sometimes be related to one another).  I voted for slowdown.  I only started really noticing this on really late Amiga games(before my days of PC gaming - where slowdown often meant needing to upgrade my PC!).  On later Amiga games(about the time when the AGA chipset was just released), it was mainly really big games like some flight simulators which showed slowdown.  B17 Flying Fortress was notorious for this - a really good flight sim - but even on an A1200 it was slow - it really needed a 68030 or 68040 to supply the CPU horsepower. 

I have just thought of another annoying limitation from mainly the 16 bit era - DISK SWAPPING!!!!!!!   Argghhhhhhhh!!!!!!  Monkey Island 2 was 11 disks!!!!  Try using a 1 Mb Amiga with two drives and that - and remember how much hard disks were in those days!!!  Then Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis being 11 disks as well!!!!!!  And don't even mention Civilization on an Amiga!!!!!!  When games got that large(in data size) - it was getting difficult for Amiga owners!!!  I suppose that does tie-in with slowdown - because it did slow down the gameplay.