Poor Sound Chips
2 (8.7%)
Fogging In 3D
0 (0%)
Other?
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: July 19, 2012, 19:29:56 PM

Author Topic: Most Annoying System Limitation In Gaming?  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Most Annoying System Limitation In Gaming?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 20:46:39 PM »

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 20:54:25 PM »
Quote from: "Mire Mare"

Love this, so true. But in my case its somebody messaging me when I am playing a game on the PC.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 17:45:45 PM »
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
hell yes they do lol, I hated playing games like Rampage and not being able to save etc... though I suppose the idea of most old games like that was to just play for a high score, not to actually finish it lol

Yeah exactly! But there are cases of old adventure games that didn't have things like a password option for example. Thus making you play the game from the start every single time  >:(

Offline nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 00:32:14 AM »
Poor sound can kill a game for me.

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Voted jerky scrolling, I can't stand it. That Final Fight for the ST is a terrible port! :o

Slowdown and poor sound are also problems, but I can live with them if they're not too bad.
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 18:04:37 PM »
The thing is that apart from the scrolling the ST version of Final Fight is actually very good!

Looks like I am the only one who hates sprite flicker  :-

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 18:56:16 PM »
Poor sond chips did'nt get my vote, likes of Tim Follin etc often coaxed wonders out of 'poor' soundchips on the Nes, ST games often used samples etc.

Blocky Graphics like the C64? (inward groan) not this old chestnut....good few can put this claim to bed:Last Ninja series, Target Renegade, Platoon, Renegade 3 and so on.

Slowdown and sprite flicker often a ruddy pain, but often poor coding routines or simply asking too much from hardware to blame.

Voted rubbish controllers myself.The Nes and Game Cube pads i found very poor, the Jaguar pad gets often unfair comments, but the N64 controller was by far the worst controller i've used.Trying to play Command And Conquer using the Trident Controller was a no-go from the start.

If i'm fighting the controls, no way i'm going to be investing time in a game, let alone more money on a system.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 19:00:10 PM »
It's a very good point, myself I have always just completely avoided systems where I hated the controller. I also think the N64 controller is an abomination, I utterly hate the ColecoVision controller too although I like the system. I was never much of a fan of the jopads on the Master System, NES, PS1 or SNES either but at least they could be replaced with better ones.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 19:14:23 PM »
Hated PS2 dual shock sticks as well.Horrible dead zone made it wretched for FPS games and stick twirling QTE events in games.

Seen the Jag.Pad constantly take flak, but folks seem to forget that people were constantly asking for deeper games on console (i.e serious flight sims etc) and developers would always say, how on earth are we going to replicate the complex controls required  to a stick and 3 or so buttons?.

Even as far as PS1 days when TFX was attempted at being converted to the platform, developers struggled to map control scheme to limited options avaiable on a pad.

For any of it's flaws, at least the Jag pad allowed for the potential of more in depth games being converted to the system.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 16:02:56 PM »
Always found the PS pads uncomfortable to use. I really don't like the diamond button set-up that has now become the standard as I find it far too easy to press the wrong buttons. A traditional layout of buttons in rows is far better IMO. What I hated the most about it was the split up joypad as it really hurt your thumb after long periods of play. A proper circular joypad is far more fluid and more comfortable.

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 16:20:58 PM »
Rubbish controllers!
I couldn't care less about graphics in games but it has to have a good control system and is the controllers are poo (N64 anyone?) it detracts from the whole experience for me.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 14:45:27 PM »
Quote from: "Tachi"
Rubbish controllers!
I couldn't care less about graphics in games but it has to have a good control system and is the controllers are poo (N64 anyone?) it detracts from the whole experience for me.

The think the N64 is the only system I pretty much refuse to play because of its controllers, they really are terrible.

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
yeah the N64 is one of those truly broken systems for me. Game Cube is on the very edge between broken and OK in my book, I can get on alright with the controls for the games I've got but anything multiplatform that I've played elsewhere is just attrocious on the GC. The Wii is also another one. I HATE the Wiimote, I don't mind it for tennis and the wii sports but when you wanna play a proper game like Epic Mickey or Monster Hunter its just a hinderence and the classic game pad pro sticks are god awful compared to even the ps3, and everyone knows how much I hate playstation controllers lol

not trying to rain on Nintendo or anything I don't MIND the NGC controller its just borderline.

I actually didn't much like the Master System controller either, far too small and angular, I like a controller to fit in my hand

I still think one of the biggest limitations in gaming was during the 8bit and 16bit gen when Saving wasn't possible. So you had to sit through Comix Zone or Sonic or Chakan or games like that START - FINISH or you'd lose and have to start again

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
yeah the N64 is one of those truly broken systems for me. Game Cube is on the very edge between broken and OK in my book, I can get on alright with the controls for the games I've got but anything multiplatform that I've played elsewhere is just attrocious on the GC. The Wii is also another one. I HATE the Wiimote, I don't mind it for tennis and the wii sports but when you wanna play a proper game like Epic Mickey or Monster Hunter its just a hinderence and the classic game pad pro sticks are god awful compared to even the ps3, and everyone knows how much I hate playstation controllers lol

not trying to rain on Nintendo or anything I don't MIND the NGC controller its just borderline.

I actually didn't much like the Master System controller either, far too small and angular, I like a controller to fit in my hand

I still think one of the biggest limitations in gaming was during the 8bit and 16bit gen when Saving wasn't possible. So you had to sit through Comix Zone or Sonic or Chakan or games like that START - FINISH or you'd lose and have to start again

MS+Nes controllers were, in my case like a giant holding a matchbox (i've large hands), struggled through with N64 controller, loathe the G.Cube controllers.

Guess with cart.games you either had battery backed saves, thus raising price of cartridge? or passwords.Was quitetaken aback 1st time i played N64 Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) and realised i could'nt save my progress, at end of each stage.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 16:44:22 PM »
I actually can think of a stock Nintendo controller I have liked, the NES advantage joystick is excellent though.