Author Topic: Reproductions carts-Homebrew games  (Read 408 times)

Offline vickywin

• View Profile
Reproductions carts-Homebrew games
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
This is a touchy subject and while I do not do reproductions of homebrew games, it is for the sole reason that it is not right to take away from someone's profits on a game they worked hard to make. The catch of this is for a game that is no longer being produced it is not taking $$ away from the person/people who made the game.

I always have found it absolutely annoying that people release there games in limited quantities, then just leave their fan base up the creek w/out a paddle. With that said. On games that are no longer being sold whether homebrew or original there isn't much difference in reproducing them as long as they are marked as reproduction, in my opinion.

To go even further would a timeframe of when the games were sold matter in your opinions? Like It was sold 5 years ago 10 years ago, so on. What time frame would you say it is ok to repro or never?

Curious on peoples thoughts here. I know there will be the people who will be against it as they don't want there limited 100 release homebrew game tanking in value, but just like any other limited game out there as long as it is marked it should not take away the collector value.

_________________________________________________________________________________
best ringtone
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:13:48 AM by vickywin »

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Reproductions carts-Homebrew games
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
It is a touchy subject indeed.  There are logistics involved in manufacturing games and sometimes there are limitations set in the number of carts sold because folks who make the games just can't afford to make more or because they don't expect the games to sell more than a certain number of copies.  What some people have done is affiliate themselves with certain online stores that can continue to make the games as needed to try to eliminate this. Others are made with collectors in mind so the run is limited intentionally. Regardless, I think an effort should be made to contact the person who made the homebrew game to see if they are OK with repros being made and sold.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 23:47:58 PM »
Its very subjective, for my as long as it don't infringe on some ones profits or its of a game that's let say 10 years old and its sold for a reasonable price then I am open to it..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 00:15:31 AM »
For some commercial release games, it's the only way to get them at a reasonable price.  We even have a member here who sells repros and I have gotten a number from him. It is clear that the games are reproductions but it is a nice way to not spend $500 for a game that is rare and still be able to play them.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Vadergb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 14:31:58 PM »
To be fair the person reproducing the homebrew carts should get permission or agreement with the original creator. Maybe with small royalties going towards them. Creating them separately and without permission would be probably worse then re-creating old commercial releases as at least the commercial release would of made its original owner some proper money originally.