Author Topic: Nintendo on a Rampage?  (Read 632 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Nintendo on a Rampage?
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:50:10 AM »

I just saw this article and figured I'd share it.  Should make for interesting discussion.  It seems that Nintendo has ordered an indie fan game site to shut down, essentially removing more than 600 fan-made games from the internet.  Looks like Nintendo is being quite aggressive protecting their IP but, are they being overly aggressive?  Behavior like this may alienate its fanbase.  What do you guys think?  Read the article here:  Nintendo Ends Fun for 600+ Indie Fan Games and Fans.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo on a Rampage?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 17:23:19 PM »
They're definitely cracking down and going by this job listing for an Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator, it doesn't look like they will be letting up any time soon!

If anyone wants to apply you can find all the info here :P

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 23:32:08 PM »
LOL  So, let us know the status of your application!

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:39:45 AM »
If I could do it from home in my spare time I might consider it. I see stuff online every day that probably violates their copyrights! LOL

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »
LOL

Offline psj3809

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
Its a difficult one as i can see both sides. Its Nintendos IP etc but i do think many companies like Nintendo owe many retro fans/websites a huge thankyou. Old games/consoles were 'dead' in the early 90's, the second emulators arrived many more people started playing classic games. Nintendo (and other companies) realised re-releasing many old classics will make them money due to retro being 'in' again.

If a fan has taken the code of a game and amended it to improve it i can see why Nintendo wont like that. But when its a new fan 'homage' etc then i think they're being OTT. Shame when you hear stories like this

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
As above I see both sides to this, I guess Nintendo need to protect their IP's but they have to be careful to not alienate those that spread the good word of Nintendo.. I think they forget there are many Nintendo haters out there that love this stuff and play on it..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »
It is a fine line.  Maybe what they need to do is set guidelines that allow fans to do indie development so that they are at least seen as trying to work with their fans. 

Offline psj3809

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 13:19:22 PM »
I always thought Lucasfilm (And perhaps Disney as well) did a surprisingly good job with all the fans and their 'homages'. They still have fan awards for best fan-film etc which they promote quite a lot.

I do love it that Nintendo, one of our childhood companies is still around and is as strong as ever (Depressing that Sega are nowhere to be seen, Commodore is just a 'name' now and Atari dont really do much - one of their last apps was a social app/game for the LGBT community !).

So its great Nintendo are still huge and still doing games. Its a great move letting this Mario Run game come to mobile, remember people thinking they would never do this.

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 13:25:27 PM »
Gamejolt hosted hundreds of fan-made 'homages' with ripped Nintendo sprites, music, level design, etc. Biggest reason I agree with Nintendo's legal actions is because the site was earning ad revenue on both their main search pages and from ads popping up before playing individual games. If anyone is making money from stolen Nintendo IPs, they deserve to be shut down.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 16:09:34 PM »
Is that the site that was shut down then? If so then I can understand that one.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 00:18:28 AM »
The site is still there, they just had to remove the hundreds of games flagged for using Nintendo IPs.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 21:02:13 PM »
Ok. Well I guess they had that coming. Just don't like seeing the little fish like us affected. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk