Author Topic: Why do you love your favourite system???  (Read 655 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do you love your favourite system???
« on: July 08, 2016, 22:20:39 PM »
We have all heard the stories of the Amiga V Atari ST bashing, the SNES v MD/Genesis fights and so on..

Regardless of all the fanboy stuff, why do you love the system or systems that you consider your favourites?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AtariCrypt

• Reviewer
  • Atari ST
    • View Profile
    • AtariCrypt
Re: Why do you love your favourite system???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
An easy and a very tough question to answer all at the same time heh

For me, it's the Atari ST series of computers. Sure I was around well before I got my first ST in 87, so I should perhaps pick the Speccy... but the ST i do regard as my first "real" computer. Such potential with a wealth of great apps, both commercial and a massive PD scene. Community is awesome and with such superb ppl knocking about even to this day. I just love my slab of grey allrounder and I surely love my Mega STe - almost as much as beer!

One of the few games I've ever completed was on my old Amiga A500. Turrican, I spent months on this! Awesome game.

I do love the Dreamcast and Jaguar consoles also. The DC was one of the best consoles EVER and with so many amazing games, its a shame the world failed to realise that. AvP and Iron Soldier on my Jag! Ahhh heaven!! AvP i used to play after shiftwork back in those days and was up every night till 3/4am. Too tired to work in those days lol.  And Doom too, wow!! *until PS Doom was released that is! That is still an awesome game.

Speccy, yep. Brilliant. Chuckie Egg TWO, Pentagram, HERO, Fairlight, JSW and Saboteur II 128 are perhaps my faves. I remember mapping Sab2 on a huge A2/3 sheet of paper :D

Ahh umm but my heart belongs to the Atari ST. Just something about it.......

Steve

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
It'd be hard for me to pick a system impartially, given that I've made so many great memories with the NES and SNES--as a child, initially, and then revisiting them later when I became a collector. Not one console is perfect in every way; that is why it is such a joy to collect for multiple platforms. I will say that the SNES has more of the games that I like to play and is versatile enough to cover a wide range of my gaming interests. The hardware was excellent for its time: the games looked and sounded great, and Nintendo knew how to push its strengths with big, colorful games. When I was younger, the SNES took up uncounted hours of my and my brother's free time, and it was the first console I returned to when I started to collect classic games. Sadly, it has become one of the more expensive consoles to collect for, so I haven't made any significant additions to the collection in some time.
- Ryan

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 13:35:22 PM »
Well, where to start. I will have to collect my thoughts and revisite this topic. I have blurbed on before about how much I love the Atari Jaguar but the topic is somewhat subjective, for me especially, as I have not played on a number of systems and don't regard myself as a gamer per se. As Arnie once said "I'll be back" 😉

Enter the latest Jaguar competition here: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7798.0

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 21:24:32 PM »
I have no idea why I love the Jag so much. It's a question that has perplexed many with entire threads dedicated to it. Some people blame the fumes but personally, when I see the red logo on black it ignites something in my cabeza that can't be explained. I just want to play the awesome games in the Jaguar's library
That last sentence is an oxymoron to some but to me, powering on Atari's last console and letting the boot screen & sounds wash over me feels incredible. Then, when the game loads and it's time to start, all my attention is focused on the less than stellar graphics and a time to relive some great years begins. Even if it's only for a few minutes.
Plus, the design of the base unit is sexy. The JagCD attachment makes it a tower of power in my opinion and compliments the setup wonderfully. Although compared to a toilet, which I can clearly see, it goes far beyond that in my eyes. That red illuminated led in front w/ the logo off to the side. Nothing screams cool like seeing that against the dark gray shell.
Playing games like Towers II, Battlesphere and Battlemorph that showcase what the system is capable of really makes the addiction worthwhile. All I can say is it's an incredible gaming system to me and I love to play it 8)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 17:11:09 PM »
[member=5732]AtariCrypt[/member]

I knew you was a huge fan of the ST but pretty shocked you like the DC and Jag... Interesting lol.

[member=5238]wyldephang[/member]

Is it an American thing to love the NES/SNES so much?

[member=4728]Cryptic33[/member]

I knew you was a big Jag fan, be interested what else you favour as time passes. Shocked you have not played many systems as you put it mate...

[member=5476]Saturn[/member]

You did not need to post mate, when I boot my Jag I see your face and I have never met you lol.. You are its biggest fan EVEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AtariCrypt

• Reviewer
  • Atari ST
    • View Profile
    • AtariCrypt
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 18:15:57 PM »
[member=5810]zapiy[/member] Oh yeah I had many consoles and Atari computers in the 90s. Pre mortgage and women mate lol
Had megadrive, saturm, 3DO, N64 and many more.... Had to sell the lot only last year. Needed the cash (but keeping my Atari ST's of course!!)
:p

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:52:46 AM »
Is it an American thing to love the NES/SNES so much?

Not necessarily in the case of the SNES, due to the Genesis/Mega Drive capturing such a large share of the market. The NES was virtually unopposed, though. The Master System didn't perform very well in our region, so the NES reigned for the remainder of the decade. North America really has Nintendo to thank for pulling us out of the 1983 crash.
- Ryan

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »
Ok, let me clarify. Apart from the fact that Saturn very eloquently sums our feelings about the Jaguar, I will try and briefly explain my position.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... (Cough) I mean, back in the early 80's I, like so many back then, got caught up in the immergence of new technology that changed home based entertainment for ever. Yes there were contenders but Atari ruled the world (literally) with the all-time famous Video Computer System or 2600 for short. I was hooked forever. I guess it was a similar experience for PS1 owners in that both systems really made history. Of course, the 2600 was first and therefore retains some uniqueness. I won't go on about the games too much but if you can understand the appeal of Adventure then you will understand my attraction to video gaming.

Personally, I owned a 2600 and over a long period which included the "Bliterchips" era, have played many titles. I was getting older and with a mortgage to pay, I could not indulge my passion on new emerging systems like the NES let alone the wonderful Mega Drive and SNES. However, my wife bought me a 800XL with 1050 Disc Drive and I was once again impressed with the 8-bit experience.

Time passes and suddenly, there is talk of the giant known as 'Atari' making a foray into video gaming once again with a system to blow away the competition from Sega and Nintendo. In fact, there was talk of another giant called Sony but they were years away from launch. Boom! The Jaguar hit the scene to much acclaim at the time. For me, after Atari failing to fully support its fan base for years, they not only were coming back with the most powerful cartridge based system in the world but, hopefully, this time they would get it right and retake their throne. For a few months that is how it felt. A couple of years later, I got my Jag, couple of months down the line I got a copy of A v P and wow, this truly was/is a great system. Been slowly collecting since.

Now, I have played a few games on a friend's Mega Drive and several arcade machines. That has made me familiar with cross-platform games but I never got into Mario, Sonic, Mega Man etc although Zelda does intrigue me.

So, in a nutshell, I like casual gaming and have a very strong bond with Atari platforms. So much so, that I may only get to sample other systems at the odd gaming fair. Still, never say never 😉
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:14:14 AM by Cryptic33 »

Enter the latest Jaguar competition here: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7798.0