Author Topic: Do you back retro crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 439 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you back retro crowdfunding campaigns.
« on: June 08, 2016, 14:47:35 PM »
Here's a question, how many of you back crowdfunding campaigns?

There are more and more of these especially for books on Kickstarter and a few hardware ones on indiegogo.

For me I guess I back half of them, simply can not justify the cost of them all.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Do you back retro crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 15:03:34 PM »
I still back a few but not nearly as many as I used to. I was never completely burned on any project but after endless delays for just about every one I backed I got a little tired of it all.

The other thing is that it got to be way too popular and led to big companies with lots of money even going the crowd funding route. I can understand wanting to gauge interest before spending lots of money on developing a new game or gaming related product but I think these campaigns should be left to the small independent developers who really don't have the money.

Offline Vadergb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 16:14:31 PM »
Ive backed quite a few - 10+ The only one that really disappointed was the Godus game on Kickstarter.  Its initial development was promising but that changed when they developed it into a fremium mobile title and pretty killed the PC game.

I like the retro books but I don't back every single one just ones that interest, as mentioned on the forum there are a lot out at the moment though probably too many in a small space of time. Ive got my fingers crossed the Mastertronic one succeeds.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 17:42:04 PM »
Same as you. I have not real interest in Bitmap Books NES book but in the interests of reviewing and RVG I might have to. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:05 AM »
I've never backed anything. Wanted to dive on the Starforce Pi but couldn't risk it during December. I'd back everything in sight that's game related if I could though. Just because I'm not familiar with a product or book about a product doesn't mean it wouldn't be worthwhile or worth the investment. I'd love to sit down and read every book looking to be created about gaming consoles, how to program for such or the history of. But, it's not realistic with real life time constraints and the cost of living bleeding people.
Still, if I hit that lotto ticket, (would have to play first tho) I'd go all in. The only other 2 times I would have committed were the RetroVGS and Coleco Chameleon but that didn't work out. :-\

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:37:59 AM »
I have backed several but I'm not doing every and each one I see.  Some seem to be too far away to even bother when it comes to when they games will be delivered.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Antiriad2097

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 15:51:03 PM »
I've backed quite a lot of books. Depends on subject, but if it's 8 bit computer games it's a fair bet - though I prefer a good bit of text to go with the pictures. The US Gold and Ocean books are good examples. Some of the more screenshotty ones are losing out now simply because they're covering old ground for me a bit, I already have books that cover much of their content in more detail. Still, something focused like the recent Mastertronic book had me forking out for the extended edition.

Games, I've only backed a couple. This is more down to me buying less games in general these days than anything against Kickstarters, my pile of shame is big enough as it is what with regular GoG sales.

I did back some hardware (USB joypad/stick adapters), but that didn't reach target. I don't tend to go for hardware as it's pricey.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 17:54:37 PM »
Agreed, I will there was a way we could spread all these books out rather than 3/4 at once like the last couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 21:47:41 PM »
Just saw this and thought it was pretty interesting. Kickstarter Woes

Over $40 million was raised for projects last year, but only a whopping $8.2 million has been pledged thus far into 2016

Looks like the crowdfunding fad is fading quickly!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 22:29:49 PM »
I am slowing my pledges down, mainly due to the amount that are coming out.. I have to be more selective.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 22:41:22 PM »
Same here, I mostly back books, and even then from people who have published before, it's all a risk to some degree, I would never pledge for software, if it's getting made I'll buy it when it's finished and reviewed, I think Mighty No.9 is testament to how much of a gamble people take.
Plus I hate the way the pledges work esp for console, handheld versions, if it's not in first amount why should I pledge and risk a console version not even hitting the target but my money coming out for the main pc version pledge...happens all the time, I would only pledge therefore if the target had already past the console pledge, but anyway it's all irreverent as I don't pledge for software!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017