Author Topic: Retro hunting  (Read 1193 times)

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
Retro hunting
« on: March 06, 2015, 16:41:46 PM »
This I guess mainly aimed at the folks that live in the UK, as that's where I reside. But where do you go for your retro games? Do you hit the charity shops or car boots? Are there any retailers in your town or city that you would recommend or advise to avoid because of high prices or shabby products? Or do prefer doing all your retro collecting via the t'interweb? Let us know, share your favourites retro game places.

I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and other than the charity shops there is one retro game retailer. He doesn't have a website or eBay shop which I like as it tends to keep his prices reasonable. If anyone on here lives in the area I would recommend checking it out, it's Retro Games at the Old Vicarage in Wakefield city centre.

Now I know this is mainly aimed at us on the right side of the pond [emoji12] but if you live outside the UK and want to share your favourite haunts, then please feel free to share them. Retro collcting is becoming harder and harder these days so pooling together and helping the community can only make it better. [emoji16]

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Retro hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 17:18:19 PM »
There is this thread here http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/http:/ ... ic.php?t=4 which should help you out.

As for me, I pretty much stick to ebay and other online sites. There's only one independent game store where I live, and they do have a good selection of games for a lot of systems, but everything is dirty and over priced. I remember one time I picked up a SNES cart off the shelf, turned it over, and found a big piece of chewing gum stuck to the back of it! If someone can't even be bothered to clean stuff before putting it up for sale then I'm not going to shop there. Too bad too, if they put in just a tiny bit of effort I'd give then a lot of business.

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 17:26:10 PM »
Dammit why does the search function not work properly on Tapatalk, stupid thing.

Thanks for that Shadowrunner, if an admin could move this, it would be much appreciated. 

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 18:13:36 PM »
I was going to move it, but that thread is just for listing stores. I don't see a problem in having this thread to discuss other methods and sources of retro game hunting :)

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 18:22:30 PM »
Cool thanks.

Offline Akuza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:32:27 AM »
I generally go where ever I can, car boot sales, charity shops.

My best source of stuff tends to be either the auction part of ebay or facebook selling pages.

Though I have found some awesome finds in charity shops, including tombi (found by my girlfriend for me)

Otherwise ill wait until conventions to buy other stuff, especially consoles, as then I can get a bundle :p
Currently collecting:- PC Engine, mastersystem, mega drive and CDi.

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »

Offline Tomspy77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 20:14:49 PM »
I don't have all the money to do this at the mo, but I usually go to charity shops in the US, mostly a Salvation Army one near me.

So far in two trips got OK stuff, last time was a really good one, with two PS2 Ape Escape games, Tatsu VS Capcom for the Wii and an empty KH box which had a gift card for a store worth ten bucks in it. Total price was 6.53 US.

I also scour E-Bay and wait and wait and wait lol. But it pays off because got a package coming now with Sonic Collection for GC, POP: Sands of Time for GC, Tony Hawk 4 for PS2, Max Payne for PS2 ad Syphon Filter for PS1 all complete, plus The New Tetris and Tekken 3 disc only for PS1 all for $7.50 with free shipping.

Thing with that method is patience.

I usually click free shipping, look at most recent buy it nows to see if anything was under priced before it goes, then hit the 'watch' buttons on auctions that have days left to them, sometimes putting in a bids sometimes just waiting.

That is how I got the lot above and things do fall through the cracks like my PS2 copy of Soul Calibur 2 complete for the PS2 which was pretty much mint and even had the Namco demo disk still in it. Payed $1.25 free shipping.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 21:09:10 PM »
Yes, patience is definitely a good thing to have when it comes to ebay and retro games! Don't fall for the BIN prices and wait for a good deal to come along.

Offline stonemonkeylives

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 21:21:42 PM »
Yeah I agree, you need patience but as you say patience can bring big rewards. Unfortunately the local retro game shop owner is hitting all the charity shops in my town and has deals with a few of them where he gets first dibs, annoyingly. So a friend and I have started going further a field to find those bargains.

Ebay can definitely be a double edge sword when it comes to BINs and auctions. You could spend a week watching an auction that has been an utter bargain and then in the last few minutes rockets up in price to quite a bit more than some BIN prices. But on the flip side (and this has happened to me a few times now) you can get something that is relatively cheap on BIN and then 2 minutes an auction you've been watching for the same game goes for an absolute steal. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Offline Akuza

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 13:49:17 PM »
Currently collecting:- PC Engine, mastersystem, mega drive and CDi.