Author Topic: Arc-Aid with UKVaC at the Cambridge Computer Museum.  (Read 793 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Arc-Aid with UKVaC at the Cambridge Computer Museum.
« on: November 16, 2014, 16:37:41 PM »
[align=center:pmqkgd68][/align:pmqkgd68]
So yesterday i attended this event at the Computer Museum in the UK, for those that have not heard of this place please check it out HERE

Here is a description of the event.

I must say i had a fantastic time, the event was attending mainly by the members of UKVaC10 Pence Arcade.

The main event was about the experienced arcade enthusiasts attempting to fix some of the museums broken arcade cabinets and at the same time share their knowledge with people like me and a few others looking at getting into this part of the RETRO SCENE, for me its an area i hope to expand on as a site in the long term.

So here are a few images.

Here is Vic fixing one of the cabs that was not displaying red, was found to be a defective monitor and repaired.

Here are just a few of the faulty cabs waiting to be repaired.

Some of the gear used to test and repar the cabs and there pcb's.

Here is a Martin (aka Guddler on the UKVaC forum) giving us a talk on repairing these boards. Must say it was very interesting, i do have some knowledge on PCB repair but after so many years of working in a modular enviroment i have forgotten some of it so it was nice to get a refresh and much more.

So onto the Museum, wow is all i can say, Jason is the guy running the place, an i must say what a nice guy, very accommodating and more than that, just a nice bloke so i felt at home. I took some time to look around and it was nice to see families and couples coming in to look around the place and see some of these awesome systems we own and collect in all there glory, running some classic games, i did not take photos of most of these as we as Retro fans have most of these anyway. What i did take some photos of were some rare items i have never seen in the flesh and an area of the museum the general public don't get to see so prepare to be blown away.

Never seen a Sinclair PC200 in the flesh before and its a beauty.

Never seen one of these before either, would love one of these and the car game wa pretty god damn awesome too. I forgot the name of it so if you know it please let me know.

Now the part that blew mine and the others minds.. (Sorry for some of the pic quality but i was in awe)

As you can see, they have been DONATED some amazing stuff, i was running out of power on my phone and could have took loads more photos here. Most of the stuff not in racking or shelves still needs cataloging and testing before it gets put away nicely. Just amazing and again thanks to the guys you welcomed me and to Jason for allowing us the use of there venue.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Arc-Aid with UKVaC at the Cambridge Computer Museum.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 19:29:36 PM »
Forgot to comment on this threat, yes all seem like a great bunch and very informative bunch of lads and I'm sure were incredible helpful with your queries and a fasting ting insight to the arcade scene, which I love, but at times can be too technical for me, unless shown hands on.

And the great guys I also want to give a great shout to the guys at Computer Museum, especially Jason, and absolute top bloke and computer history guru and well worth the visit if your in town.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 19:50:44 PM »
Wow some great machines and games there!
That hardware shelf is amazing! Who is donating a PCFX, Sam Coupe and the like!? Generous ones thats who!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:27:14 AM »
I was in shock when I went up and seen all that boxed gear mate. Unreal.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC