Author Topic: CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE  (Read 7892 times)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Cheers Fella :)

Offline classicconsolemag

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:43:05 AM »
Wanted to show you guys a sneak preview of Issue 2, also posted the cover on AtariAge for the guys over there. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3QJjQ ... sp=sharing

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »
Very nice.  Looking forward to the next issue! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
Looking good fella :)

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 21:58:29 PM »
Thanks Greyfox, always appreciate the input from a graphic designer who has made some beautiful looking publications! I will try a couple of the suggestions you mentioned.. I am sure it will change a little in the last couple of days before the next issue is released next week. Cheers!

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Classic Console Magazine
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
No problems fella, just giving an honest opinion and suggestion to help make it the best it can be :)

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:08 AM »
Hello everyone. Just wanted to let people know that issue 2 is out and should be in your inbox if you have subscribed. For those who have not subscribed do so today and you can still get issue 2 in your inbox.

In Issue 2:
- Spotlight on Adventure Games
- Top 10 Dreamcast Games
- Gamer Memories
- Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash Bandicoot
- A look back at the Vectrex

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Got mine this morning, had a quick browse, looks brilliant so far and delighted you took the advice to raise the Adventure lookin away from the cover :)

Kudos for the superb work on the magazine.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
I downloaded it last night and have it ready to be read on my tablet.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
Will grab mine tonight guys and comment later.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 17:05:27 PM »
Ok this is merely a critique, nothing personal, just commenting on what I see (I say see because I have not read it yet, just given it a cursory glance)...

Anyway...

Page 2 - Shift the team over by one so that Josh is in line with the editorial text.  This leaves the main image of Josh (the editor) as the only thing in that column, and will give the page a better balance while promoting Josh as the big boss.

Page 2 - Your masthead doesn't work with the grey box.  In fact, for me anyway, the masthead doesn't work at all.  I'd be looking into that for the next issue.

Page 2 - Remove the black background away from the Generation X Podcast advert and put a stroke on the bottom white text.  The contrast of the black background on the Gen X advert and the white background of the Mr Techie advert make it look much worse than it is.  You have a white background, therefore you cannot put swathes of dark colours on it, it looks, well rubbish really.

Page 4 - The CC license.  Can you not make this less red and more in tune with the rest of the mags design?  It looks totally out of place as it is.

Page 5 - I think, if you are going to do adverts from old mags, 1) They have to be relevant to the content, and 2) They have to fill the page up.  The white borders combined with the fact that the page used here is not straight, doesn't work.

Page 6 - You have an image of Bucky which fills the width of the column but the 2600 and the Classic Console image underneath it don't.  Why?  The Sonic and Mario pics are not aligned and not the same size as the supercade pic above.

Page 9 - The gap under the "Fantastic Read" and "Great Job".  Why it is there?  If you have to, flesh it out so that the white space is used.  Also the "from the forums" comments are too spaced out.

Page 10 - Saturday Supercade image.  Again blocks of colour are not working for me.  If it was me I would have removed the background, imposed the "Saturday Supercade" words onto the TV screen and then made the item 3 columns of text instead.  Also the text does not hit the bottom of the column either. 

Page 11 - Image sizes and justification.  Captions seem to be floating on the page, text is all over the place.

I'm going to stop now, I don't mean to tear it to pieces, but these are basics that need to be overcome.  Formatting this mag should be easy as the template you are using is pretty straight forward to use.

There are things you need to learn about Photoshop and InDesign if you have long term plans for this mag.  Things like basic design premise, never adding a picture if is is out of proportion (page 15!) and not using the guides within the template to align and format your content (page 26 springs to mind).  Check out current gaming mags, any mags for that matter.  Take inspiration from them and replicate the formatting in your mag. 

From what I have seen (and again I have only looked at it from a design point of view), you don't seem to have enough content to fill the pages.  I know it is a white based template, but you seem to have too much white space showing in the articles.  Either that of the formatting of the page is all wrong which may be why it looks to me the way it does.

Again, please don't see this as a personal attack.  It's most definitely a critique, but one in which I hope I have provided a few ideas you can look into for future issues.

If you want to chat about anything, or if I can give you more pointers / help in any way, please let me know.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Classic Console magazine
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 18:08:23 PM »
Basing on the observations of Simon hawk eye across the magazine, as a designer I have to agree, the magazine is lacking hypernating throughout the text of the magazine Indesign actually has a feature for correcting this, images are not portioned with the text, everything in design must work in Tatum with text. Alignment issues must have to do with personal adjustments and not locked or snapped to the guides.

Like Simon, we are not here to slather the magazine, I actually really enjoy the content and believe this deserves the chance to seen both a quality read and a quality magazine. Allot of the mistakes are based on observation of what's expected in a digital publication, Simon and myself are reflecting on. So all little mistakes that can be very early ironed out. Match your images to your columns , and also use some text wrapping around objects , spacing and adjustments with require more text with hyphenate or you can manual space the text that is it all uniform like a block etc.

Regarding the photoshop skillet, I recommend if possible to have all images remastered in some form , even video screenshots, simple level corrections and colour treatments etc can go along way, all my publication that I've produced from Atari Gamer, ST Gamer and Homebrew Heroes all received remastering of the imagery inside to serperate it all previous mentions or efforts on others. If you are an adept user of photoshop this should be a breeze, if not than its open for vast improvements over time.

I also suggest that article submission should be based on a strict word count or if is the case that its too much, as an editor its your gig to make it fit not the designers, colour schemes need I believe changing throughout the magazine to serperate them from difference formats of the magazine which then can be used in the contents page to add both a nice colour scheme and create section rather than getting lost in the content.

I hope you understand the advice both Simon and myself have presented to you, this will and could really elevate the quality of the magazine.

If you need any advice yourself, all you need is but ask, you can PM me and I'll join you on Skype to give break downs on this type of thing.

All the best and already looking forward to issue 3

Grey ;)

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 18:26:00 PM »
Thank Grey,

I am glad that you saw my post as being constructive as opposed to being pure critism. :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 19:25:47 PM »
Sorry guys but i can not disagree more with you both lol... :21: Now this depends on how your looking at things, it really does.

So this mag is free,  from fans for fans, on that note all you both have said is not really valid, are any of them designers looking for a design award?

If this was your mag GF (www.atarigamer.co.uk) which are mags you pay for and looked like that then you would have very valid points..

What i would say though, if the guys could implament some of your input that does not cost them more time in making the mag.....DO IT, if however they would need to put more hours in i say leave it, because i will still read it lol..

Sorry guys.