Author Topic: CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Classic console magazine
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 19:47:53 PM »
That's fair enough, and fully understand that its a free publication, the premise in which my input and I'm sure Simon's is or was is simple improvements that won't require intense over hauling of the magazine, text alignment and wrap around are all standard thing with in this .

The images simple need lite remastering and enhancements and correction of width and height to fit within the confounds of the magazine. I think its a swell little mag and as Zap mentions if these fixes can be implemented then do so, if not, you may consider taking a learning course in digital publications etc. but I think you get the picture none the less.

As I've said, Simon or myself , whomever you feel comfortable chatting with will give you a helping hand :)

Offline classicconsolemag

• View Profile
Re: CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 22:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Although I don't agree 100% with every point being made, there are quite a few things that have now been brought to my attention and we will work on fixing in future issues.

Not a matter of not having the knowledge, more a matter of having not used the software since college/university and becoming reacquainted with it all. Most of our staff are writers, so me, myself and I serve as the editor, graphic designer, marketing team, you name it..

I knew when we launched that some things are works in progress with the mag as I refine the process. Out of the 100's of comments from readers the only people that have brought up design issues are the ones here on this forum. Most were just happy to have a retro magazine with content more in-line with what they are looking for and for free. I have seen some of the other retro mags that exist on the internet and there are quite a few that look far far worse than Classic Console Magazine and those people are charging money!

We will get it right, we ask that folks who think it looks a little rough around the edges bare with us as we keep getting better and better.

Greyfox, I will probably hit you up with a PM at some point before the next issue comes out so I can get some feedback from you.

Thanks again to everyone who has subscribed and continues to read!

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
Can I ask, what points you did not agree with,  purely out of curiosity?

I am very surprised to hear that none of your other readers have mentioned the design issues though, and just because it is free, does not mean that you should not strive for it to be the best you can.  The things I pointed out are glaringly obvious so I am shocked no-one else has mentioned them.

The template you are using is designed to be easy to use, I know this as I have the same template, it's just a shame you are not using it to its full potential at the moment.  Like I said if you need any help with it feel free to tap me up.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 14:52:01 PM »
Quote from: "Simon_G"
Can I ask, what points you did not agree with,  purely out of curiosity?

Does it matter? The guys pretty much just said he's taken the points on board.
Sure you're points may be valid but my advice would be to stick them in a PM if you're going to make more than 2-3 points. Nobody really wants criticism heaped on them, no matter how constructive.

I'm sure you're not meaning to come across as so presumptuous that you don't think the editor knows what he's doing, but thats how you appear. To me anyway.
Its difficult to gauge emotional intention from forum posts.

Also, these offers of help sound very condescending.

I'm not trying to bait any arguments, I'm just trying to add an opinion to how this thread is panning out.
Plus I'm a grumpy old sod...

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Classic console magazine
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 19:24:56 PM »
CLassicConsole Magazine has mentioned he is now fully aware of the things that need addressing and we should wait until the next great issue emerges and hopefully it will be even better than the last, at all stages of producing a magazine is a learning curve no matter how much experience you may have, something always takes a turn in some form or another, this is just the way shit goes with these type of things, plus we have the factor of individuality that you can't please everyone all of the time, that's just people, their wrong mine lol, but that's the facts and if some people who have had some sort of experience and have a eagle eye to spot issues, then I agree that they should mention it, its the only real way to improve and make it the best it can be.

My suggestions would that they get a few people to look at the magazine before going to press on their personal feedback and make sure to point out any mistakes or things not fitting right etc. before hand.

@Joe I don't think Simon was or had intention of been presumious, he's like me in that manner, wants to try and explain these simple mistakes can be avoided and ironed out, which can be to others and the people themselves involved in such work, make a serious effort to deliver a great little production to the community spend a lot of there free time doing it only to have it take apart with clerical errors on design and layouts etc, and I apolize to them if this has what it appears to have been seen as, that was never my intention and I'm very sure not to Simons either, we have both attempt to bring it to the attention of them guys behind this wonderful little nudge of retro goodness and we are only here to help, and at no time does anybody need to be sensitive to what we are saying, well me, I've 5 mags under my belt boo.. Lol. No been straight forward is always the be policy in my books, humouring people for something that can exceptional wont flag here, well not by me.

Both Simon and myself have offered an open hand and friendship to help them out, and will do all I can to help them with. And see these god dam templates.. Make sure own you bunch of slackers.. :21:

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 20:46:31 PM »
^^^^ This.

Could not have said it better myself Grey :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2014, 04:06:17 AM »
Well, I finally had the chance to read the first and second issues.  I must say that I love the content of the magazine.  It is a true retro magazine!  The Dreamcast article touches on some of the important aspects of the console.  Given that I just got a Dreamcast, it was a good read for me.  I may be 15 years late to get it, but I now know why it was such a great console.  :)  I also remember many of the ads you included!  That Mario Bros ad for the Atari systems showed up in magazines and comic books.  I also loved the Vectrex article.  That is another favorite system of mine and, to this day, it remains a very unique system.  :)

I have to agree with the constructive feedback regarding layout of the magazine.  I know nothing about how to lay out a magazine but I can see that there is room for improvement in terms of alignment of the text and images.  I'd recommend using full justification for the text also, as that gives it a more professional look. I'd also recommend avoiding doing what you did with page 31 in issue 2 (the Vectrex article).  I skipped to the text in the white area of the page thinking the grey box was for a sideline article on the Vectrex, not part of the main article.  The contrast between the gray and black text also made it hard to read. 

In any case,as far as I'm concerned none of this stuff is an Earth-shattering issue but it is still of importance.  I'm sure this is stuff you'll be able to address as you get more experience as you create future issues.

So, keep up the good work!  I look forward to more issues of Classic Console Magazine!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:47 AM »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give a preview of what is coming in the soon to be released issue this month!

GreyFox, as soon as I get the rest of the magazine together in the next few days, I will send you a PM and let you take an early look at it. I am interested in your feedback before it gets released to our subscribers list.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:11 AM »
Fantastic!  Looking forward to the next issue! 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »
Love that cover! I'm also really looking forward to it :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »
Love that cover also. Can't wait to read this.

Any chance you could feature the Playstation Kickstarter in there as a favour to me. Will owe you one.

Thanks.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
Quote from: "classicconsolemag"
GreyFox, as soon as I get the rest of the magazine together in the next few days, I will send you a PM and let you take an early look at it. I am interested in your feedback before it gets released to our subscribers list.

Firstly the cover looks great fella :)

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 01:35:50 AM »
Thanks everyone! Zapiy, which kickstarter are you referring to? The GameChanger documentary? I would be glad to include it in the article!

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »
Looking forward to the Street Fighter II article.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Yes mate that's the one. Cheers.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC