Author Topic: Something new  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
Something new
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
Right, a bit of a long shot, but worth a try.

Over the past few weeks, a small team (including myself) have been working on an idea for a regular magazine/periodical (although it has the opportunity to be much much more than that), which we believe will appeal to those wanting more than whatever the pages of RetroGamer and other mags currently give them.

I know this is very vague, as I am not actually giving much information out about the contents, but I am asking if anyone here would be interested in contributing at some point? 

We are particularly looking for more technical articles along with software related content (Homebrew, programming etc).  Basically anything new designed or developed for an old machine.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Something new
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »
Well for a start  [member=4282]Retrotext[/member]  would be my number one choice for this type of thing, as [member=5079]retromod[/member]  and [member=4309]Vyothric[/member]  are all perfect candidates, [member=4267]TrekMD[/member] 's superb homebrew reviews are a must, there is allot of talent here for the picking if they choose to take this mission. [member=1]zapiy[/member] is also extremely well connected and I'm sure could help to great effect.

Will this be a digital publication? or will you be doing pre-ordering to help it get a print run? , How many pages are you planning in the publication?, will it be interactive etc. ?, as I've seen some stuff recently and after it setting the bar high, feels now that it's necessary now to be included in a publication like this, but I suggest quarterly if going down that route.

Either way I wish you the very best of luck with it and hope it's as professional as your envisioned  :113:

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
The idea is to be both digital and paper based, with the advertising off setting the cost of the printing.
As for distribution, we are looking at PDF as well as iPad and more conventional direct sales through a website, possibly membership based.

There will be no pre-ordering for the print run as it will be financed through personal money and advertising. The digital versions will be at an impulse buy value to maximise take up.

Page wise is dependant on printing costs, but at a least 64 A4 to begin with.  The content we are planning on does not lend itself to interactivity although this has not been ruled out.  And yes we are looking at quarterly initially.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 13:08:26 PM »
This sounds intriguing, but can I ask what it is that you feel other mags don't offer?
Are you looking at specific eras? Or is it purely technical hardware/software articles generally?

Either way I'd be interested to see such a publication.

Best of luck with the venture.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 13:21:29 PM »
Cool, I hope things work out.  As GF mentioned, I have written many reviews for homebrew games.  If that's what you're looking for, I can contribute.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 13:47:48 PM »
Well Joe, there is a definate hole in the current market with regards to homebrew, both software but more importantly hardware.  As I am sure you are aware, there are many hardware projects which increase the abilities of old computers and consoles that simply go under the radar.  No one seems to know about them other than those who are privvy to the odd forum lost here and there.  There is scope for tutorials,  articles, features and all sorts allowing those who make, develop and devise both hardware and software that extends the lives of these old machines, the ability to show off their wares.  Mainstream media seems to have little or no interest in covering this side of the community however there is a wealth of people worldwide who are interested in these new developments.

Trek, ill hit you up with a PM soon. Thanks

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 14:03:27 PM »
There is a homebrew mag called Revival from France i think thats pretty popular from what i can tell. This is a grand idea and i would help where i can.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 14:06:38 PM »
The last issue of Revival that I've seen is 45, from last year.  I had subscribed and my money was returned as it seems publication has stopped, which is unfortunate as it was a nice magazine.  That gap is open now, it seems. 

Simon, I agree on the homebrew hardware.  We have a section here for it but it seems that the information on this stuff is usually not well shared. 

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 14:18:59 PM »
May I ask how much the sub was, and what you got for it? Amount of issues, page count etc.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 14:54:00 PM »
Oh boy, it has been such a long time.  I paid for the subscription in 2012, I think it was about $30 for four issues.  If you want to know what the issues were like, you can download a PDF of issue #40 from the Revival site:  Revival Issue 40 PDF.  I hope that helps.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 15:04:22 PM »
Quote from: "Simon_G"
Well Joe, there is a definate hole in the current market with regards to homebrew, both software but more importantly hardware.  As I am sure you are aware, there are many hardware projects which increase the abilities of old computers and consoles that simply go under the radar.  No one seems to know about them other than those who are privvy to the odd forum lost here and there.  There is scope for tutorials,  articles, features and all sorts allowing those who make, develop and devise both hardware and software that extends the lives of these old machines, the ability to show off their wares.  Mainstream media seems to have little or no interest in covering this side of the community however there is a wealth of people worldwide who are interested in these new developments.

Trek, ill hit you up with a PM soon. Thanks

Ah, so its the hardware mods. Yeah, you're probably right about that. You don't tend to see this sort of thing in the 'lime light' so to speak.
Well its right up my street so as far as I'm concerned its a great idea  8)

Offline retromod

• View Profile
    • http://www.konsolen-mod.de
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 18:43:09 PM »
sounds interesting specially as there is less information spreaded and the main stream "hardware" mods are rebuilds of older one. If you need something let me know.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 21:32:51 PM »
Can I ask for those who may be interested in helping out to PM me so I can forward on a few more details and so that we can discuss areas of strength and possible contributions.

Thanks

Offline Simon_G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 19:27:34 PM »
Oh boy, it has been such a long time.  I paid for the subscription in 2012, I think it was about $30 for four issues.  If you want to know what the issues were like, you can download a PDF of issue #40 from the Revival site:  Revival Issue 40 PDF.  I hope that helps.

Was the $30 for 4 printed editions?  If so did that include postage too? Was it printed in full colour?  What was the paper quality like?  Was the cover a thicker stock than the inner pages?  Can I assume that the pagination never rose above 44 pages like the PDF of issue 40 you linked to?

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 19:33:14 PM »
The price included the four issues and shipping.  It was initially printed with a color cover and black and white inside but by issue  40 it was all in color.  The cover paper was the same stock as the inside, which was standard baud paper.  The page number varied and the last issue I got had 50 pages of content.