Author Topic: On Retro Gamer, By Bobinator  (Read 2754 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: On Retro Gamer, By Bobinator
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 18:00:29 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
But yeah, if they're so worried about reusing content, maybe it'd help if they didn't focus on a total of three different systems. As I've said, they've done a heavy focus on Spectrum games, and in my opinion, it's kind of overshadowed everything else in the magazine. I could be very wrong, of course, but I can't even remember the last time they've sat down and really analyzed a Commodore 64 game. Or an Amiga game, for that matter.

From recent issues:

Commodore 64 - Paradroid, Impossible Mission, Gribbley's Day Out, Bombuzal
Commodore Amiga - Putty Squad, Knights In The Sky, Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder
Atari 8-bit - Ballblazer, Boulderdash, Loderunner
PC Compatibles - UFO, Half Life, The Sims, Counter Strike

Offline Carlos

• View Profile
    • http://retrotext.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 19:21:23 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
But yeah, if they're so worried about reusing content, maybe it'd help if they didn't focus on a total of three different systems. As I've said, they've done a heavy focus on Spectrum games, and in my opinion, it's kind of overshadowed everything else in the magazine. I could be very wrong, of course, but I can't even remember the last time they've sat down and really analyzed a Commodore 64 game. Or an Amiga game, for that matter.

From recent issues:

off topic perhaps, but PC compatibles retro? really  :P

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 19:24:12 PM »
Quote from: "Carl"
Quote from: "The Laird"

From recent issues:

off topic perhaps, but PC compatibles retro? really  :P

This isn't the time nor place, so I'm just gonna ask you about this somewhere else.

Offline jdanddiet

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wizwords.net/
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 21:14:43 PM »
I think bob has a point actually (in his original post) - a lot of times I get carried away with stories and the technical making of the game, so I draw it back and try and get human elements and gameplay exposition in. Can be very difficult with the tight word counts though. The Movie MO I did was very good in this respect but the problem is I left out a fair bit of technical info that some may have enjoyed more. It's a real balancing act.

On the subject of DOS games, I've got two interviews in the bag for Descent (20 years old this year  :3:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 18:41:52 PM »
It must be hard to cover every aspect of a game though and in someways you will never please everyone..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 00:38:10 AM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
It must be hard to cover every aspect of a game though and in someways you will never please everyone..

Well, this is true, yes, especially when you've got a page limit. I've mentioned this before, and to be honest, I'm not really sure what to suggest, short of an overhaul on how the magazine is organized. Still, I have mentioned that the magazine has done stuff I've REALLY liked before, like that one Korean fighting game on the Master System. I'd like to give some props to whoever wrote that, that was just about perfect. If everything could be on the level of that, I'd have no complaints.

Offline jdanddiet

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wizwords.net/
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »
Lol, I skipped that one

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 18:54:24 PM »
The last issue i had noticed the paper quality seems to be getting even worse, not that alot of people will notice, but to me its a sign of cutting back on costs.
Subscriber numbers have never been massive, a sign of this is they avoid being listed on the ABC site (currently the only gaming mag not to be).
I will buy the odd issue again but the content has to be worthwhile, and for quite a long time its been lacking and stale from mvp.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline Lorfarius

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 20:06:58 PM »
Are you sure?  I've just got my new sub copy through the door and I've dug out an old issue from 2 years ago. Side by side and pressing the paper they don't feel any different to me.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 21:08:08 PM »
To be fair it could just be me, i used to read the mag from cover to cover, i suppose its about from the last 2 years, who know, perhaps im going slightly mad!  :35:
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017