Author Topic: Your Gaming History  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
Your Gaming History
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:07:15 AM »
Don't remember if there was a thread like this on this forum. Thought I'd start it after seeing some of the posts in my 386 thread. Mine starts with....

Amstrad PC1512 (1986?) - I doubt any gaming was actually done on this, I just know it was around. It's in a picture from when I was 1 or 2.

286 (1987? - 1991) - It had big round buttons and a really nice LED numeric display. The first game I played was most likely on this. What that was though, I have no idea. Could be Sopwith, Rogue, Alleycat, 3-Demon which I know well from those days. Or possibly one of the more obscure games that I have vague memories of like Beast or Pango. It could even be Boppie's Great Word Chase which apparently we got in Canada - which would make it July 1987.

386 (1991-99?, 2014-) - This was the main machine. The one from the 386 repair thread I made. Most of the old-school PC gaming that I can remember clearly was on this. Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Jazz Jackrabbit, Galactix, Kilo Blaster, Lemmings, Major Stryker, Lotus, the Dizzy games etc. It was still in use after it was replaced by a newer computer until around 1999.

Game Gear (1994-Present) - Despite all the computers we'd had my parents weren't fans of me or my sister spending lots of time playing video games and refused to buy a console that was specifically for gaming. For years I kept asking for a Master System or Mega Drive. I eventually had to settle for a Game Gear. It was cool at the time though but I only got a few games for it so it didn't have a massive impact on my gaming history. I still have it, caps replaced and in pretty nice condition with the original box.

P166 (1996-2001) - This was a significant upgrade at the time, having completely skipped over the 486. It meant the internet and online gaming. I first tried this with Hellbender and Quake 2 around 1998 I guess. I ended up playing a lot of Quake 2 online, initially with a 28k modem. It also meant getting up at 5 in the morning before school to play Destruction Derby. Oh yeah and CARMAGEDDON - I spent so much time playing that game.

N64 (1998-Present)Various PC's (2001-2010)Various Consoles/Computers (2010-Present) - This is when the whole "retro" thing started. I'd had enough of modern gaming so I bought a nice 21" Trinitron, got my N64 out and so it began. Almost all of the systems in this picture were purchased from October 2010 onwards. The modding started soon after. In 2010 I couldn't use a soldering iron.

Other:

Acorn Electron (198?-199?) - Inter-weaved through my early gaming years was the Electron. My dad bought it before I was born. If the first gaming I did wasn't in fact on the 286 then it would have been on this. It was in use until some time in the early 90s when the PSU wire needed fixing. I recently fixed the wire so it is functional. However, like my original Game Gear & N64 it just sits in a box.
Mega Drive/Saturn (2001) - I did actually buy both a Mega Drive and Saturn from Cash Converters in 2001 but didn't really use them at that time.
Dreamcast (2005) - Same as above.
Gamecube (mid-2000's) - My sister bought a Gamecube in 2003 which I played a few games on. I got one a couple of years later but again, didn't play much on it at the time.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Your Gaming History
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:03 AM »
Hmm, I'm going to have to think a bit to put something like this together.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline sloan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:30:41 AM »
It all began with Sears video Arcade aka Atari VCS. I was addicted. Begged borrowed and pleaded to build a small library of quality titles. Lost all interest around 1984 when girls came on the scene in my life.

Until..

Nintendo Entertainment System. Saw the unit demoed in target stores in my town in 1985. My wife bought it for me for Christmas of that year. I was hooked. Slowly built a library of about 40 titles over the next 5 years.

Then came Jaguar. I bought it when some hard drive manufacturer bought Atari and they were clearancing these through Tiger Direct. Quickly picked up about 12 titles through clearance sales at Kay Bee and malls.

Next for me was Gamecube. Luigi's Mansion was my first game, and simply awesome.

Then, PS2. What Gamecube was lacking in racers, PS2 made up in spades. I bought it to be able to play racers.

After that, the collecting bug bit hard, and I now own every console short of Neo Geo, Jag CD, and TurboDuo.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 14:01:30 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Hmm, I'm going to have to think a bit to put something like this together.  :)
Same here, it would take some effort to get the years right.  The 90's are a blur to me, these days.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 15:37:20 PM »
Yeah I'm not bothering with the dates, too old  :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 19:32:59 PM »
Great topic.

For me it all started around 1985/86 with the ZX Spectrum+, i did get to play on older consoles but those days are more blurred so i will go form 1985.. Games like Kane, Kickstart, the Horace games and many more were classics and still are.

From the Speccy i upgraded to the Amiga 500, this was my Xmas present in 1990 i think and this system is probably the biggest leap interms of the wow factor from one gen to another.  Playing Shadow of the Beast for the first time, wow, the music, the graphics and the gameplay, fantastic memories. There were many classics on this, Gods, Stuntcar Racer, Speedball.. you all know which others lol.

I then managed to bag a Megadrive and SNES sometime during 1991, i remember that because i left school that year also and i played the hell out of both consoles lol.

From here on in i started to earn my own money and therefore started buying systems i wanted like the Lynx and Gamegear and so on.

Have not looked back since and i more or less have every system still from those days all in good working order. :113:
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 21:23:47 PM »
This is heavily abridged, but...

Lemme think... everything started with DOS and Windows 3.1, I'm pretty sure. I know Windows 3.1 was involved because my family has some home video of me messing around with it. Not long after that, I started playing my cousin's Super Nintendo a lot. A lot of Super Mario World, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, mostly. All his games that I just played for myself. At this point, I was also playing a lot more DOS games, including stuff like Doom, and Wolfenstien. (At this point, I was about 4. Yes, a 4 year old playing Doom. I had an awesome early childhood.)

I mostly stuck to those two things for a while, taking a brief foray to play with my cousin's N64 when he got one of those when I was six years old. Lots of Cruisin' USA and Shadows of the Empire, I believe. Sometime after that, my dad bought me my first console that I actually owned for myself, the PS1. I absolutely loved that thing, even though all the games I had for it when I first got it were a demo disc and a terrible Star Wars fighting game. I loved that PS1 so much. Still do. I remember my dad used to rent a different game for me every week, so I'd go from stuff like Disney's Hercules to stuff like Azure Dreams, which I was way, WAY too young to understand at the time.

Now, things get a bit fuzzy from here, but I remember getting a SNES of my own some point soon after this. My cousin still had his, but I had my own, including a few new games like Super R-Type and Zombies Ate My Neighbors. And then when I was 7, I ended up getting a Nintendo 64 that came with Donkey Kong 64, and I had a ton of fun with that. So, yeah, for a good few years, I think I did all my gaming on a Windows PC, the PS1, and the N64, and I had a pretty good time with that.

I had a Dreamcast at one point, but it didn't last for long. I owned all of two games, aside from the ones I rented, and I'm pretty sure it broke.

At some point after I turned... let's say, 9... I ended up getting a Sega Genesis and getting heavily into used games. This probably has to do with the fact that I got Sonic CD for my 6th birthday, and I liked it. A lot. So much so that I wanted to play all the other Sonic games I had read about on the internet, and I ended up being a huge, HUGE Sonic fan.

And from there, there was the PS2, and so on... but that's basically the jist of things. There's probably a few consoles and handhelds I missed, like my cousin's CD-i and when I got a Game Gear and a Neo Geo Pocket, but that's the abridged version of things.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 19:44:45 PM »
Probably around 1981 i played my first videogame, my grandparents had bought a pong machine, think it was a binatone uk knock off of Atari that most people couldnt afford! Our first computer in our house was a Commodore 16! Woop...not it wasnt much cop!
I remember playing my first arcade machine (space invaders tabletop) in Greece in 1983 when i was 6.
Pretty quiet for a few years until we bought a Spectrum 128k in 1986, great fun computer, millions of pocket money games which gave me the gaming bug for life and started my round of first machine purchases.
Next was the Sega Master System in 1988, Gameboy 1989, Megadrive in 1990, which 6 months later i swapped with my friend for my favourite machine ever the Amiga 500.
A few years with that lot brought me too 1993 and cheap buy from a friend of the Amiga CD32 which lasted me until 1995..Sony PSX, 1997 Sega Saturn, N64..1999 Dreamcast, Neogeo pocket, PC , 2001 Xbox, GC, 2002 PS2 etc and between 2000 and 2010 i bought countless machines (long since resold) inc virtual boy, nomad, 3do, cdi, cdtv, gamegear, pc engine gt, neogeo cd, and probably 20 others!
So which brings to here, slowing down on buying stuff for sure! Play mostly retro stuff, hate alot of new games with addons and microtransactions etc  hello? You still there!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
1986 - Born.  Hello world!  First order of business is to pee on the doctor's tie, my mom claims.

1988 - I've been told I played my first video game when I was two.  Probably Super Mario Bros. on NES.  Somewhere around this time, little Wyldephang steps in a pile of his own poo and tracks it around the house while announcing to a horrified mother, "Mess.  Mess."

1989 - My earliest gaming memory: Mega Man 2 on NES.  Played Bubble Man's stage and actually got pretty far.  Began my initiation into the world of gaming with the NES and Atari 2600.  Favorite games included the Mega Man and Mario series.  I liked Galaxian, Pole Position, and Centipede on the Atari.  Occasional game time on the Commodore 64, with assistance from mom and dad.

1990-92 - More NES gaming, only now I'm being introduced to a wider variety of games.  Contra, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, WWF games, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Battletoads enter the mix, in addition to my mainstays Mario and Mega Man.  Commodore 64 is phased out, and the new family computer is still too complicated for me to learn, so I take a break from computer gaming for a while.  I played my first RPGs: Crystalis, Dragon Warrior III, and Final Fantasy.  Received a Game Boy for Christmas and became a fan of portable gaming.  Arcades become a favorite pastime, and I see Mortal Kombat for the first time.  My brother and I see advertisements for a new Nintendo console, the Super Nintendo, and we're instantly hooked when we hear that it can run Street Fighter II, which is our favorite arcade game.

1993 - For the first time, I feel the excitement a young boy feels when he comes home with a brand new console from the toy store.  Family buys the Super Nintendo, which is the first full-sized console purchased since I was born.  We're playing Super Mario World and Street Fighter II Turbo.  I take my first steps into the 16-bit generation, as well as into "next-gen" PC gaming with games like Doom, which is also my first FPS game.  My brother borrows his friend's Sega Genesis and we play Genesis games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat, and Eternal Champions for the first time.

1994-95 - I haven't totally abandoned the NES and Game Boy, as I'm still occasionally getting games for those consoles, but we're definitely playing the SNES more often.  We're going to Blockbuster every weekend and renting games like Super Metroid and Contra III.  I get Donkey Kong Country for Christmas, which left an enormous impression on me that I couldn't even begin to describe.  My brother and I are playing more WWF games, and this time, they're pretty good!  (Watching WWF wrestling was one of my favorite hobbies as a youngster, so it was important to have the games too.)  I get more acquainted with the RPG genre: Final Fantasy III and Secret of Mana.  We move to Virginia, my brother gets a Sony PlayStation for his birthday, and we enter an exciting new era of gaming.

1996-97 - I'm thinking about which console I'd like to get for Christmas; the choice comes down to the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64.  My mom calls me a week or so before Christmas '96 and tells me that the toy store is out of Nintendo 64 consoles, and they can't guarantee that they'll get a shipment in before Christmas, but they have plenty of Sega Saturns.  So, do I want the Saturn or the N64?  After some deep consideration, I pick the N64.  The N64 sits happily under the Christmas tree that year.  I'm playing Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Pilotwings 64, and also get my first taste of Resident Evil (PlayStation), which scares the hell out of me.  My half-brother (who is visiting) brings home Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation, which was a powerful experience.  FFVII becomes the focus of many hours of obsessive gaming.  I'm lucky to have both the N64 and my brother's PlayStation at my disposal.  GoldenEye 007 and Star Fox 64 hit shelves for the N64, Tekken 2 is already out on PlayStation, and I spend a lot of time playing them.  The older consoles get moved into the closet and take a long-deserved break.

1998-99 - PC gaming becomes more interesting when the family acquires a new computer and we're able to play Quake, StarCraft, and Half-Life; I start dabbling with online PC gaming.  Pokemon Red comes out on the Game Boy, and being a loyal fan of the anime, I get the game and play it nonstop.  More PlayStation (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy VIII) and Nintendo 64 (Banjo-Kazooie, Super Smash Bros., Turok 2).  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is released on the N64 and I'm struck, as if by lightning, by its beautiful graphics and addicting gameplay.  Ocarina is a large part of my daily life; I'm playing it all the time.  I get a Sega Dreamcast for Christmas '99 along with Soulcalibur, House of the Dead 2, and a few other games, and I'm looking forward to Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

2000-01 - Oh, shucks, the Dreamcast years come and go.  I do manage to play a few good games just before the console gets discontinued, but the Dreamcast doesn't make a great impact.  Now, my daily gaming schedule is dominated heavily by PC games like Half-Life: Counter-Strike and Diablo II.  I spend hours of my time playing each game, and the Diablo II obsession lasts for at least a few years.  I get a GameCube for Christmas in 2001 and my brother gets a PlayStation 2.  I'm playing Super Smash Bros. Melee and Grand Theft Auto III.

2002-06 - I build my own gaming computer and nickname it "Franken PC" because it's a true monstrosity.  It breaks down within a year and my PC gaming days are effectively over, so I turn my attention toward the GameCube and PlayStation 2.  Resident Evil: Outbreak and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes become the first games I ever pre-order.  (Oddly enough, those are also the only two games I've ever given away to friends or family.)  I get the Resident Evil remake for the GameCube and, no surprise here, it scares the hell out of me once again.  In my defense, it's absolutely the scariest Resident Evil game ever made.  I get The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker after some hesitation, but it's a marvelous game.  We move to Maryland and purchase an Xbox as a housewarming present along with Halo.  My brother and I are late on the Xbox bandwagon, but we enjoy it while we can.  I round out my GameCube collection with Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4.  I get a Game Boy Advance SP at some point as a birthday present, but at this point, games are really taking a back seat to my bass playing; I'm trying to sound more and more like Geddy Lee, which takes a lot of practice.  I grow sort of distant from gaming until I hear about the Xbox 360, which I get as a birthday gift in 2006.

2007-11 - Xbox 360 gaming: EA Sports Fight Night Round 3, Gears of War, and some others.  I play Halo 3 for the first time online using an Xbox Live Gold membership trial, which was given to me by Microsoft after they botched a repair on my console.  I discover some great games like BioShock, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect.  I purchase a Nintendo DS for myself and experience the joy of portable gaming once again.  My family pitches in and buys my mom the Nintendo Wii, which was her first game console; I still remember her excitement when she unwrapped it.  She lets me use it, of course, so I get to play games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.  If it seems odd that I've grouped together the years 2007 through 2011, it's because each year seemed to progress the same way for me.  I'd pick up a new Xbox 360 game at launch, play it online with friends, and then repeat the cycle when the next game came out.  This abides at least until 2011, when I rediscover my love for classic gaming.

2011-14 - I set down the Xbox 360 controller and make the switch to Super Nintendo.  Our collection is smaller than I remembered it being, and some games were lost during the several moves we've made, so I go on a buying frenzy to collect all of my favorite SNES games and then some.  Between 2011 and 2014 I acquire an NES, PlayStation, and PlayStation 2 of my own, as well as a Sega Genesis.  I buy an entertainment center and put all my consoles on display, so now it's easier to switch from one to the other.  I'm playing retro consoles at least 80 percent of the time; every once in a while, I'll take a break to play a game like Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.  I've built up my game library considerably these last few years, so I'm sure to keep myself occupied for a long time.
- Ryan

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 20:29:28 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Hmm, I'm going to have to think a bit to put something like this together.  :113:, how do you cram 35 years into one post?

Offline dougtitchmarsh

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://douglastitchmarsh.com
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 16:34:32 PM »
Feeling very old now, being as I was playing games in the bowling alley where my dad was a league bowler (Heathrow Bowling Alley West London) back in the 1970's, we'd be given some 10 pences and told to go play while the team bowled, and play we did, with Breakout, Pong, and pinball machines. I remember the stir caused when a Space Invaders machine turned up too.
In the late 70's my parents got us a home pong game for the TV, a Prinztronic if I recall, and it came with a light gun. This was followed in the arly 80's by the Atari 2600 my brother got (I got the TV so we had to share to play or so my parents guessed, wrongly). There was also the ZX81 around the same time and soon after it was released, a ZX Spectrum, at the same time my dad bought an Amstrad twin tape deck. Of course as an experiment we used the twin decks to try and copy a game or two, and I can report from our limited experiments it worked. I'm not sure if this contributed to John Menzies going out of business though.

My brother had Atari ST's, and Amiga's which I used but for a few years I was interested in cars and computers took a back seat until the Master System and MegaDrives I bought in the early 90's. A brilliant way to get back into gaming I'm sure you'll agree. After the MegaCD kind of let me down with the poor FMV gaming, I moved onto a 386 PC and the delights of DOS Autoexec BAT and Config SYS tinkering to play some pixelated games. This was followed by a brand new 486 dx2 66mhz beast with 16 meg of ram AND a CD drive, and came with Nigel Mansells game, Microcosm and IIRC Zool. After a couple of years this had an upgrade to a Pentium Motherboard wit a speedy 133mhz Pentium and massive 32 meg of ram. Meanwhile I bought a Playstation after I had sold the Sega consoles and played a little Gran Tourismo mainly.

For a long time all my gaming was done on whatever PC I could afford and still pay the mortgage, until my wife insisted I had an XBOX, and then a Gamecube. I discovered emulation and played some old games on my PC's too, and then started a console and old computer collection, up to today when retro gaming is about the only gaming I do.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 17:49:36 PM »
What a post @wyldephang.

@dougtitchmarsh. And so the love of racing games was born my friend. 
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 18:23:14 PM »
Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"
I moved onto a 386 PC and the delights of DOS Autoexec BAT and Config SYS tinkering
:13: each to their own! That did make me chuckle though!
The only delights i got from was smashing my old pentium 3 laptop up with a hammer!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline snowmaan

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/stuart.munro1
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 22:18:05 PM »
Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"
Feeling very old now, being as I was playing games in the bowling alley where my dad was a league bowler (Heathrow Bowling Alley West London) back in the 1970's, we'd be given some 10 pences and told to go play while the team bowled, and play we did, with Breakout, Pong, and pinball machines. I remember the stir caused when a Space Invaders machine turned up too.
In the late 70's my parents got us a home pong game for the TV, a Prinztronic if I recall, and it came with a light gun. This was followed in the arly 80's by the Atari 2600 my brother got (I got the TV so we had to share to play or so my parents guessed, wrongly). There was also the ZX81 around the same time and soon after it was released, a ZX Spectrum, at the same time my dad bought an Amstrad twin tape deck. Of course as an experiment we used the twin decks to try and copy a game or two, and I can report from our limited experiments it worked. I'm not sure if this contributed to John Menzies going out of business though.

My brother had Atari ST's, and Amiga's which I used but for a few years I was interested in cars and computers took a back seat until the Master System and MegaDrives I bought in the early 90's. A brilliant way to get back into gaming I'm sure you'll agree. After the MegaCD kind of let me down with the poor FMV gaming, I moved onto a 386 PC and the delights of DOS Autoexec BAT and Config SYS tinkering to play some pixelated games. This was followed by a brand new 486 dx2 66mhz beast with 16 meg of ram AND a CD drive, and came with Nigel Mansells game, Microcosm and IIRC Zool. After a couple of years this had an upgrade to a Pentium Motherboard wit a speedy 133mhz Pentium and massive 32 meg of ram. Meanwhile I bought a Playstation after I had sold the Sega consoles and played a little Gran Tourismo mainly.

For a long time all my gaming was done on whatever PC I could afford and still pay the mortgage, until my wife insisted I had an XBOX, and then a Gamecube. I discovered emulation and played some old games on my PC's too, and then started a console and old computer collection, up to today when retro gaming is about the only gaming I do.
Nice post.

I found the old days of DOS and 386, 486 PC's brilliant fun and tweaking Soundblaster and graphics cards settings satisfying and frustrating at the same time.

For me the 12 year old period was spent at Boarding School, playing Bards Tale, Taipan and Conan on an Apple IIe in the prep room for hours on end.

I'd love to buy one of those for my retro collection but can you believe it, they're now about $550

After school I had a 2 year break then moved onto a 486 dx 2 66 or similar and xwing vs tie fighter and Mechwarrior (had an awesome opening cut scene) style games

Now I've started building a gadget collection and have the following (including current systems) in reverse order down...

Have today:
Ipads
Samsung
Galaxy tab
Xbox
Wii
Kobo reader
Apple imac
A few laptops
A Microsoft Surface Pro
Nintendo DS and 3DS
Sony PSP - on the way
Atari Flashback - on the way

I've managed to get the Xwing series to work on my Windows 98 Asus Transformer using the disc image and daemon tools.

Same with Descent but can't seem to be able to configure the joystick buttons on that one.

Looking to get:
Apple IIe
Commodore 64
486 PC running Windows 95
Pentium II running Windows 98
Maybe the odd game and watch style game

On the lookout for others

Offline Alberto 2K

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 16:46:48 PM »
My gaming history is like this:

80's: Arcades, bars, pubs and every place which had an arcade machine.

Late 80's: My sisters' 8086 PC (Which I now have plugged and working perfectly) and my first own gaming machine, the almighty Spectrum 48k+.

Early 90's: More arcades, the SNES and the reason I started failing in my studies. :40: :21:
Don't be surprised, my broken English is legendary!