Modern Gaming
0 (0%)
Retro Gaming
6 (75%)
Can't choose!
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 04, 2011, 14:53:54 PM

Author Topic: Retro vs modern console's  (Read 3107 times)

Anonymous

Re: Retro vs modern console's
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 19:36:52 PM »
I wouldn't say im careful though, i just put them back into the box.
although if its a game that loads a lot (ie Mass Effect, La Noire soon :)) or one that i play a lot (Halo, Battlefield) i install it to my HDD just to speed it up a little and quieten it down.

and RE: the comment about costs, the cost of flash stoarge would be passed down to us - the consumer, because they have to have such a high contribution on the cost of producing the discs to make a profit on years of development...

i think discs are fine all in all, but more games should encourage installing to a hardrive. especially multi disc games! La Noire is on 3 discs, but you woud have to install all 3 discs and swap them when the console asks you too...

Offline DEADDOLL666

• View Profile
    • http://www.maturevideogamer.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 16:31:38 PM »
I've just got a slim 360 so it's alot more quiter and more reliable.Also with the bigger HDD now i can save all my games to it :D

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 19:37:29 PM »
Haha i really want a slim, MS are rolling out a new type of security on the discs which frees up 1gb of space for games, and some old consoles wont read it.
if you have a console that doesnt read it, they will send you a 250gb slim!

Offline DEADDOLL666

• View Profile
    • http://www.maturevideogamer.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 22:57:40 PM »
yeah i read that earlier on mvg (another site zapiy run's www.maturevideogamer.co.uk for people 18+ that want to play game's for fun and not have annoying kid's shouting all the time).but then another report came out from microsoft saying
Those hoping the upcoming new Xbox 360 firmware will bork your console and thus qualify you for a shiny new one could be out of luck.

Microsoft has told Eurogamer this evening that the disc read error reported by users has nothing to do with the new firmware.

Instead, the problem is tied to an already released software update that changed the way your Xbox 360 reads discs.

In other words, if your console isn't already borked, you don't qualify.

"This issue is unrelated to the upcoming release that has been in public beta," Microsoft said.

"Additionally, this disc read error message is tied to a change in the disc reading algorithms in a recent software update and is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360."

This morning Microsoft confirmed it was aware of 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' errors that were preventing "a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs".

"We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console," Microsoft said.

The new Xbox 360 firmware is rolled out from tomorrow.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 00:19:50 AM »
Cartridges will always be better than CD's.

The Atari Jaguar was the last great cartridge system  :'(

Offline dot.fyre

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 15:43:47 PM »

Offline CeefaxOfDelphi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 15:59:56 PM »
I always want something physical for my money - the few downloaded games I did buy I lost when I change PC etc - it just makes games disposable and less important.  It's OK to download Tiny Wings - but for COD or MASS EFFECT I want a case and disc.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 18:47:52 PM »
I added a poll to this  :D

Offline Minerals

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/mineralsuk
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 19:09:45 PM »
I will always love playing retro games to relive great memories and also because i enjoy playing good games. The simplicity of old games can have real appeal and replayability, especially for quick casual game. But i also enjoy alot of newer games, but not all. The modern FPS titles bore me to tears, but i do really enjoy the more open world, sandbox games like Assassins Creed and Fallout and i will always continue to play the PES and WWE games. Also a lot of retro remakes and retro inspired modern games really add something new to the gameplay.

The modern games of today will be the retro games of tomorrow and real standout good games will always be timeless. So i will always continue to want to play good new games.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 20:34:37 PM »
Agreed.. I simply love being part of both..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 20:52:41 PM »
I suppose the result of this poll isn't really a surprise given that this is a retro forum.