Author Topic: What the hell did they do to Spyro?  (Read 810 times)

Offline ashleybrierley

• View Profile
What the hell did they do to Spyro?
« on: July 27, 2014, 17:11:06 PM »
Alright, as you can probably see I'm a bit of a Spyro fan from my pic, growing up in the 90's with Spyro was heaven-sent!

I could take the PS2 ports and even the fact that they may not have lived up to the PS1 game expectations...but seriously what the hell did they do to him putting him in the Skylanders set?

What's everyone's opinion on "what they should have done with Spyro"
Please visit my blog at: http://retrogamingposts.blogspot.com/

Comments, Followers, Likes or Shares would be most appreciated :-D

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: What the hell did they do to Spyro?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 17:25:56 PM »
I've never played the game but, he's a dragon.  I like him already.  :) 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 17:32:29 PM »
Well you have a point but Skylanders was and still is a licence to print money. So I guess it depends on what side of the fence your sitting. My kids loved it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline ashleybrierley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 17:37:33 PM »
I guess in hindsight it's good for today's children, it's colourful, adventurous etc. but for me, back in the 90's growing up on the original Spyro's, it feels like it's ruined the series.
Please visit my blog at: http://retrogamingposts.blogspot.com/

Comments, Followers, Likes or Shares would be most appreciated :-D

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 19:50:39 PM »
I liked the original PS1 games when I was younger, but I didn't actually acquire Spyro and Spyro 2 until recently.  That said, I haven't played Skylanders, so I can't offer any opinion on the game except to say that many other franchises (like Resident Evil) have also been ruined in recent years.  Developers don't necessarily care what the long-time fans think about the product; they're more interested in drawing in new gamers, particularly younger ones, and will resort to any gimmick possible to make that happen.
- Ryan

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:14:55 AM »
As above, it's about the money at the end of the day. My lad thought it was an entirely new character until I showed him the other games. 
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 23:53:41 PM »
For reference, she (Going by the name, if I'm wrong, please correct me) is speaking about this, I'd imagine.

I agree entirely. Uuuurgh.

Sadly, Spyro pretty much ended up in the same sort of pit Crash did by the time the PS2 rolled around. One game that tried to do more of what the PS1 games and failed, one decent game, and a bunch of games where it was clear that they had no idea what they were doing.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 14:59:00 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
For reference, she (Going by the name, if I'm wrong, please correct me) is speaking about this, I'd imagine.

Perhaps you should read his profile  :3: