Author Topic: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« on: May 12, 2014, 19:25:50 PM »
Struggled to get the title right but basically any game where your some kind of hovering thing, obvious choices being things like F-Zero, Wipeout etc


I'm a big fan of racers and futuristic ones in particular, Ive played a lot over the years and wanted to look at some:


F-Zero X N64 - I struggled with the controls on this, attack moves were a little tricky, but as on of my first N64 games I loved it.

Wipeout 2097 PS1 - Ive gone for the sequel as I like the music and tracks better, otherwise its the same as the first one. System link was fun on this and I think you could do the disc trick so you only needed 1 copy of the game.

Quantum Redshift Xbox Classic - A Xbox exclusive its not well remembered, it was a bundled game at one point I think. Lots of power ups, weapons etc and its a good laugh.

CGR Undertow - F-ZERO X for Nintendo 64 Video Game Review

Wipeout 2097 Ad

Quantum Redshift Xbox Gameplay

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 19:30:31 PM »
[align=center:29yw2vy5]Good idea for a topic! Here are a couple of my favourites that haven't been mentioned yet . . . . .

Cyber Speedway Game Sample - Sega Saturn

Mag Force Racing Sega Dreamcast Gameplay HD[/align:29yw2vy5]

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 20:00:24 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Good idea for a topic! Here are a couple of my favourites that haven't been mentioned yet . . . . .

Cyber Speedway Game Sample - Sega Saturn

Mag Force Racing Sega Dreamcast Gameplay HD
Ive just bought Powerdrome, JetIonGP and G-Surfers for PS2 to try, thought I start a little a series on them?

That Cyber Speedway has a wicked soundtrack, googled it and its by a band called "Bygone Days". The bluesy music really works I think?

Mag Force Racing is a bit dull though sorry, I watched another video with music as the one you put on seems really odd with no music but even with the claimed speed of 300+ mph it doesnt feel fast or excting

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 20:07:36 PM »
Cyber Speedway is great, really under rated game in my opinion. I still remember really well when my brother bought it back in the day, was really surprised by it as I had never heard of it.

Mag Force isn't amazing but it's good fun and very cheap to pick up.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 20:13:31 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Cyber Speedway is great, really under rated game in my opinion. I still remember really well when my brother bought it back in the day, was really surprised by it as I had never heard of it.

Mag Force isn't amazing but it's good fun and very cheap to pick up.

Cyber Speedway yes looked very good, the 1st person view was better as the game seemed to run a little smoother?

Mag Force theres also a PS1 version called 'Killer Loop', will try and track that down I think.

Offline Vyothric

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 884
  • Karma: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 22:09:38 PM »
Definitely F-Zero X. It's one of those games that it's as if they made it specifically for me.

Episode 1 Racer is also a very good game in my opinion.

I like the original F-Zero as well, but not F-Zero GX - for the same reason I was never a massive Wipeout fan. The music.

I doubt it'd appear too highly on anyone's list and I don't actually remember much about it myself, but there was also Hi-Octane which I believe was available on the PC, PS1 & Saturn. I think I had a demo of it back in the day and have been meaning to try it again.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 22:17:15 PM »
Quote from: "Vyothric"
Definitely F-Zero X. It's one of those games that it's as if they made it specifically for me.

Episode 1 Racer is also a very good game in my opinion.

I like the original F-Zero as well, but not F-Zero GX - for the same reason I was never a massive Wipeout fan. The music.

I doubt it'd appear too highly on anyone's list and I don't actually remember much about it myself, but there was also Hi-Octane which I believe was available on the PC, PS1 & Saturn. I think I had a demo of it back in the day and have been meaning to try it again.

Nono I remember Hi-Octane, for a stop gap game designed to keep EA off their backs Bullfrog did well with this.

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 18:52:46 PM »
Totally forgot about Hi-Octane, it's a bit buggy but still a very enjoyable game! I have the Sega Saturn version:

[align=center:1n1pzklp]Sega Saturn A - Z - Hi-Octane (Gameplay)[/align:1n1pzklp]

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 21:24:26 PM »
[align=center:y8rhrg8h]It's not retro but this is a really good one:

Nintendo Wii Speed Racer[/align:y8rhrg8h]

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 18:00:57 PM »
[align=center:327oqyvp]And another more recent one, but for a retro platform, the excellent homebrew game Tube:

Atari Jaguar Games: Tube SE[/align:327oqyvp]

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 665
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 19:16:01 PM »
Given its chuffin miserable this weekend I'll probably be in and able to play G-Surfers, Jet Ion GP and Powerdrome on the PS2, I'll report back if I do :113: Is it original? Nice game as well, simple but looks addictive.

EDIT Actually whilst watching the game, I think it could be better if the ship rather than being floating was fixed to a track, then you flick the ship left/right. Makes more sense to me as (if you excuse weird analogy) the ship is Analogue and has free roam but the track is Digital and does not bend. Er sorry lol I'm rubbish at explaining :-X

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 19:33:56 PM »
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
@The_Laird Is that the in game music, its pretty funky :113: Is it original? Nice game as well, simple but looks addictive.

Yep, that is the actual music. It's bloody excellent for a game that was given away for free!

Offline Shadowrunner

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4963
  • Karma: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 19:42:42 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "WiggyDiggyPoo"
@The_Laird Is that the in game music, its pretty funky :113: Is it original? Nice game as well, simple but looks addictive.

Yep, that is the actual music. It's bloody excellent for a game that was given away for free!

Yup, Tube and the music in it are awesome!

Offline ashleybrierley

  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 96
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 17:37:55 PM »
it HAS to be Wipeout 2097  :79:
Please visit my blog at: http://retrogamingposts.blogspot.com/

Comments, Followers, Likes or Shares would be most appreciated :-D

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favourite...... Hover Racing Game?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 14:18:14 PM »
If we want to go back a bit further we could also mention something like Eliminator I suppose. Although it has a lot of shoot 'em up elements it certainly has similarities to games like Wipeout, would surprise me if it helped inspire them:

[align=center:het3fra2]Eliminator - Atari ST [Longplay][/align:het3fra2]