Author Topic: Commercial Breaks  (Read 2136 times)

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Commercial Breaks
« on: November 10, 2013, 00:40:08 AM »
[align=center:dfh0nd8l][size=140]The full length version of the classic documentary about Ocean and Imagine Software in the early eighties, this is a really great watch so enjoy everyone![/size][/align:dfh0nd8l]

[align=center:dfh0nd8l]Commercial Breaks - A documentary about Imagine and Ocean Software (Full Uncut Version)[/align:dfh0nd8l]

Quote
Fantastic bit of history showing a behind the scenes of software houses Ocean and Imagine circa 1983/4. Following text from http://home.iprimus.com.au/danmcpharlin/purpleowl/psygnosis-history.html.

Offline TrekMD

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21166
  • Karma: 54
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:28 AM »
Very cool.  Something else I've added to my Watch Later list.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Greyfox

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4555
  • Karma: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
This was a great insight to how things were hampered in the computer software business , crazy at one stage Imagine Software were been labeled on Le Mans racing tournaments which at the time huge money.

A great video and one which I believe allot of companies Learn from.

Amazing Ocean Software was not covered in the type of documentary when itself went under.

Offline zapiy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11799
  • Karma: 41
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 20:07:00 PM »
Brilliant vid fella.. Thanks for sharing that one.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline dot.fyre

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 161
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 13:24:06 PM »
Quote from: "Greyfox"
Amazing Ocean Software was not covered in the type of documentary when itself went under.

Ocean are featured in this too.

Offline jdanddiet

  • Reviewer
  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 98
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wizwords.net/
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 16:51:17 PM »
Imagine were so great in the early days. Their games were good and their presentation was far above anyone else. Then they just got ideas that were too big and pop! Shame.

Offline Greyfox

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4555
  • Karma: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 17:38:30 PM »
Quote from: "dot.fyre"
Quote from: "Greyfox"
Amazing Ocean Software was not covered in the type of documentary when itself went under.

Ocean are featured in this too.

Yeah I know fella, but I'm talking about a cover story of there demise in the mid nineties , it would of been very interesting as maybe better than this if it had of been documented via video.

Offline TL

  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13403
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 18:08:21 PM »
Ocean didn't go bust though (like you said) they were bought out by Infogrames just before they became Atari.

Offline RPC_GAMES

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 103
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retropc.com.au
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 23:54:14 PM »
Wow, I just watched the video. Totally amazing. Ocean makes millions of pounds at the beginning and then software piracy and other platform competition kicks in and suddenly their in dire straights. Owing money here their and everywhere. You would think when a company starts having financial difficulties that they start cutting costs and looking over expenses.
After watching the vid I actually felt sorry for Ocean and think where they went wrong. Obviously they spent too much time, effort and money on their super game with the expensive hardware add on. While watching the vid I said to myself "Bad Move" for them and that's what happened. At the end just a skeleton crew employed and writing games. You feel kind of sorry but software piracy in the 1980's was a big thing and sometimes you think to yourself, "Is it really worth it writing games, paying wages, expenses etc  only to be crushed by piracy."
But it was a great software company.

Pete  :4:

Offline Greyfox

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4555
  • Karma: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 15:20:10 PM »
Quote from: "RPC_GAMES"
Wow, I just watched the video. Totally amazing. Ocean makes millions of pounds at the beginning and then software piracy and other platform competition kicks in and suddenly their in dire straights. Owing money here their and everywhere. You would think when a company starts having financial difficulties that they start cutting costs and looking over expenses.
After watching the vid I actually felt sorry for Ocean and think where they went wrong. Obviously they spent too much time, effort and money on their super game with the expensive hardware add on. While watching the vid I said to myself "Bad Move" for them and that's what happened. At the end just a skeleton crew employed and writing games. You feel kind of sorry but software piracy in the 1980's was a big thing and sometimes you think to yourself, "Is it really worth it writing games, paying wages, expenses etc  only to be crushed by piracy."
But it was a great software company.

Pete  :( .

Offline RPC_GAMES

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 103
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retropc.com.au
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 22:34:38 PM »
Thanks Greyfox, you are correct. I was watching the film while have a few Jim Beams but I do realize now that it's all about imagine software.

Thanks mate :4:

Offline zapiy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11799
  • Karma: 41
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 23:48:30 PM »
We all fall foul to the Jim Beams sometimes mate lol.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline RPC_GAMES

  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 103
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retropc.com.au
Re: Commercial Breaks
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 02:19:45 AM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
We all fall foul to the Jim Beams sometimes mate lol.

 :21:

Pete  :4: