Author Topic: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine  (Read 19121 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2014, 01:30:01 AM »
OK, so I finally was able to finish reading the issue and I will say that I like this one better than the first issue.  Overall, this issue had more retro content and it felt more balanced but it still does feature quite a bit of modern content.  At least some of it involves retro games in modern consoles (like the NES Remix article).

What I enjoyed reading the most:
  • Ed Fries Interview - I thought this was very well done and it was a good read.
  • The Art of Atari - This takes the crown for me in this issue.  Well written with good and interesting information.  The art used in the article is also superb and very representative of what Atari had at the time. It was also cool reading how the artists came up with the design, etc.  There's some interesting trivia as well.  :)  The article closes with a short interview with Curt Venderl.
  • Bubble Bobble: Lost Cave - This is pretty nifty for fans of the game.  I'm now going to have to find this freeware ROM to try it out!
  • The NES Nation - I thought this was interesting because we've discussed this topic here in RVG:  Nintendo's censorship.

Though Game Gavel Digest still feels more like an ad, it was cool to see M.U.S.H.A. there as it was a game I was not familiar with. 

The Retrograde Reviews section still mixes retro and modern content and I really wish they'd reorganize it so the retro is separated from the modern stuff.  It would really make it better to read.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline ReadRetro

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2014, 16:59:03 PM »
RVGUK!

Introduce yourself to RETRO! 

Subscribe here:  https://checkout.subscriptiongenius.com/ReadRetro.com/

Then, use promo code rvgukdigital and nab yourself a $10 (US$) digital subscription - normally $18.  This is a downloadble PDF version viewable on any device.

This is the last week to subscribe and start with our #3 RPG themed issue which will be available shortly.  If you subscribe any time after this week your subscription will begin with future issues.

This promo code will run indefinitely so spread the word.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2014, 17:47:34 PM »
Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the though, hopefully some of our members will pick up the ball on this one :)

Offline ReadRetro

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2014, 18:12:07 PM »
Thanks!  We do appreciate the discussions, input and magazine reviews over here.  We do take all the feedback we get from all sources and try to use it to help us give readers what they want.  We are hoping that a $10 intro offer on the digital will eventually turn into international print subscriptions :)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2014, 18:14:28 PM »
I'm sure they will, wish you the best of luck with this promotional campaign :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2014, 21:53:43 PM »
Can I pay via PayPal. Don't like using my card direct.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline ReadRetro

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2014, 23:16:59 PM »
Time is flying!  Already publishing our third issue of RETRO!  Are you a subscriber yet?  Also, some big news as RETRO has been approved by Barnes and Noble for national distribution here in the USA.  We hope to have this all set up by the release of our 4th issue in July!

Check out our issue #3 preview and also score some great print or digital subscription discounts!  Come join us!

http://readretro.com/news/retro-magazine-issue-3-preview-special-subscription-offer/

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2014, 00:10:19 AM »
With no disrespect intended this issue's concept has to be one worse ideas for a"Retro" issue solely based on Role Playing Games? What if like myself and I'm sure many others have absolutely no interest in RPG's? at least with other multi-format magazine you can simply skip it to other content that may interest you?, but this is not the case here?.

Understandably I can appreciate that you trying new ideas and new types of ideas in getting enticements to your product, but this issue was better in theory than in practice, if I'd been a subscriber and received this "RPG" only issue in my inbox and been on to enquiries asking for my money back for this issue and I'd of been highly annoyed at the magazine inconsideration for those whom have no interest in the subject or genre. This is incredible bad foresight for your readership and you as a magazine. This issue did not cater for its readers.

The only thing in this issue that borders outside the what should be a collectors edition rather than an actual magazine issue is the "Retro Recollection" and one of those is about RPG's too. All in all Laird's previous comment of "Sorry but I can't think of anything more boring." I have to agree with this but not from an non-interested in the subject matter perpective, but its simply boring once you seen one, you've seen them all, wizardry , dungeon master etc..Ultima series , yep about as interesting of watching paint dry. Poor foresight, hopefully issue 4 with return to reality.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2014, 14:52:33 PM »
Ok, I had some time to read the new issue today and I am going to leave some feedback. Although I am not sure there is any point as it is never answered/replied to.

The second issue does seem to be marginally better than the first one. I liked the Atari art article and the wrestling games article was decent too, even if it did have quite a few notable omissions. The Ed Fries interview was also very good although having interviewed himself for Retro Gamer magazine a few months back it didn't tell me anything new.

Bad points now - it still seems like a large portion of the mag is either adverts or adverts disguised as articles, I know you have to pay the bills but there is nothing worse than articles like that. There is also still no balance whatsoever and a huge portion of the magazine is still dedicated to modern gaming. Really it's a total con calling the magazine Retro when so much of it is about modern gaming. Probably worst of all though is the redundant and totally out of date news section that seems to feature news that happened months ago now, not even semi-recent. We have the internet for news like this and it just wastes page space.

I certainly won't be getting the next issue, sounds as dull as ditchwater.

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
    • http://www.CarolVsGhost.com
RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2014, 16:54:32 PM »
I arrived late to this thread, so forgive me if my points seem redundant.

I subscribed to the RETRO magazine last year and eagerly awaited it.  Having received now two issues I must say, I am very disappointed.

First, as The Laird said, it is very low on the "retro" scale.

Second, I find that it has a significant number of advertisements--much more than I was expecting.  Moreover, sometimes it seems that some of the features are just more advertisements for the sponsors.

Mostly, I find it to be very superficial.  The topics of the articles are interesting enough, but the content seems to be fluff, designed to fit within one or two page halves (the images taking much of the room).

There is no single in-depth feature, it is all just a bunch of short pieces, even the "main" one mentioned on the cover.

As it stands, I won't be renewing my subscription. I am even expecting some of my next issues to go unread.

With all the hype and fanfare, I expected much more.  It seems like any other magazine off the supermarket checkout counter--except printed on heavier and higher quality stock.

dZ.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2014, 17:34:59 PM »
wow! :o that good ehh?, do they not have a forum for such complaints or a official feedback on the magazine as it seem there is more actual concerns on feedback here rather than anywhere else I've seen it posted and its not just somebody knocking it for no good reason, its being said more than once, so there is issues there.

look all new magazines have teeing problems but when its still going after 3 issues with no real improvement in article content or improvements on each new issue, then this falls into my prediction I made a few pages back., I think it's a case of the writers doing what they want and publishers letting them away with it, nothing but page fillers etc..and all good friends approach, well this will be the downfall of this Magazine unless someone comes in and cracks a fucking whip.

If any of them who represent the magazine want to have their say, they are welcome to say it here and have honest feedback given.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2014, 18:08:46 PM »
Well, it looks like there are several of us who feel the same way.  I have to honestly say that I was disappointed with the preview for issue 3.  An entire issue dedicated to RPG's is not something I look forward to. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2014, 19:25:26 PM »
I love RPG's so I'm really looking forward to issue 3  :113:
As for issue 2, I just received my print copy last week and haven't even read through it all yet. My initial impression though was that it flowed a lot better than the first issue, which was my main complaint. I can understand other peoples complaints, but for me I don't think it's that bad.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2014, 23:42:50 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to come here and speak to us and for your detailed reply  :16:

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2014, 23:46:07 PM »
Send him an email and straighten it out for them :113: