Author Topic: Artcade.  (Read 8868 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Artcade.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
Tim really is pulling out all the stops on this. Really looking like a master stroke.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 15:22:31 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Really looking like a master stroke.

You and me both!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 15:06:30 PM »
A scumbag tries to wreck everything...[/size]

I have share this with you guys before my brain explodes.

I woke up this morning to find an email in my Inbox from a guy claiming to be the 'licensed rights-holder' of three of the games that feature in the book. The bulk of the email was a thinly-veiled demand for a share of the profits (good luck with that - there won't be any!), followed by a cut & paste Cease and Desist notice from a lawyer.

There are a couple of problems with his claim:

1. The book is a documentary work of reference. I don't need anyone's permission to include the images in a book - I just need to state that the trademarks and copyrights of the contents are recognised as belonging to their respective owners, and that I make no claim to them.

2. I've already had an extensive dialogue with the Chief Legal Counsel at the particular manufacturer of the games he's claiming the rights to, and I have a signed agreement from them allowing me limited production rights of their 'graphical intellectual property, for the purposes of creating wall art and cabinet restoration materials'. The agreement also states that no licensing is required for the inclusion of the images in a book.

So, Mr Charles A. Marzo and his lawyers can go f**k themselves. Hard.

Phew! That was intense. Here's a little something to cheer everyone up :-)

Happy Sunday!

Tim[/font:14wh2vl3]

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 17:49:12 PM »
wow I can't believe why someone like that would try and pull this shit off on someone trying to do something of a homage like this? and if someone was out to sabotage this, why act as a copyright holder and threaten the creator? and yet been caught out that they have no real substantial claim? If they actually are copyright holders, this could be Case of them trying to retrieve some sort of payment for something he doesn't have too pay for, in other words trying their luck.

It's crazy is he hasn't altered any of artwork other than to remastering the original artwork and has fully acknowledged all I.P. attached to it, amazing the lows some people goto :45: because someone evolved on an idea they didn't think of themselves to begin with. Typical!

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 17:50:57 PM »
Yes, some people are just total asses and have to try to mess up things for other.  Luckily, it is a non-issue. Just some idiot trying to find an easy way to get cash that he doesn't deserve.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 19:12:22 PM »
Sad times when someone tries it on like this.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 13:17:07 PM »
Here is the latest update:

[font=georgia:3ux51emw]Dear Backers,

This is an update I was very much hoping not to have to write but, right now it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll get the book shipped before Christmas.

I must 'fess up and tell you that this is partly because I underestimated quite how much additional work there would be to turn the restored artwork into print-ready pages, but mostly because an opportunity has arisen to include more than just the images in those pages.

Right at the start of the project, I wrote in the Kickstarter 'pitch' that my biggest regret was that I couldn't track down the original artists of the cabinet art, in order to credit them for their work. Many of the companies developing and publishing games back in the 80s used freelance artists through agencies, and never even knew the names of the individual artists themselves. Those that used their in-house talent often didn't record which specific artist worked on what game. Sad, but true.

I've mentioned before that my favourite of all the marquees is Moon Patrol. There's something about it that stands out from the others and, unlike many, it's more 'art' than 'advertising'. I decided to try and identify the artist of at least one of the pieces in the book, and Moon Patrol seemed like the right place to start. Through a very convoluted route, I ended up finding Larry Day, pinball and arcade game artist for Stern, Gottlieb, Mylstar, Williams and many others.

Larry was very surprised to discover that, in his words "...anyone even cares about those old games themselves, let alone about the artwork!" After trading a few emails, Larry confided that he had kept copies of most of his original work and has an incredible personal archive of arcade art, many of which have never been seen by anyone since the early 1980s.

He has spent the last few weeks having his collection professionally scanned and photographed, so that I can share it with all of you in the book. Larry has detailed the background of each item, many of which provide answers to the arcade community's questions and rumours of unreleased prototypes, name changes, and licensing deals gone bad. He has also included his original concept art, pencil sketches and Sharpie mock-ups that show the development of cabinet art from idea to end product.

I could sell the slight delay in shipping the book as being entirely due to the chance to include the Larry Day content but, in all honesty, getting the book out on time would be a struggle without the additional task of including Larry's contribution. I've done everything I can do to hit the Christmas delivery target, including turning down paid consulting work, working 18 hour days and enlisting the help of a graphic design student to assist with some of the page layouts, but I really did underestimate just how much work it would take to turn the artwork into a physical book.

I'm not talking months of additional work here - more like a few weeks. The bulk of the book is finished and in a print-ready state, I just want to make sure that it's absolutely the best that I can make it, and will stand up to scrutiny long after people have forgotten that it was a Kickstarter project. I'm only going to get one chance to do this; I want to do it right. The opportunity to include never-before-seen images and detailed background information from a guy who was right there is something I truly believe is worth taking a little extra time over. I sincerely hope you understand.

So, the good news about the bad news is; 

The book will be much, much better even though it will be a little later than expected.

Kindest regards,

Tim[/font:3ux51emw]

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 16:20:20 PM »
Yes welcome to my world Tim,

I've been working on my book for months and months with continuous tweaks and additional imagery been added to content that had already been finished, I think what has happened here is he needs to justify the content that he has created is not enough or possibly feeling about it not been value for money based on the cost of the book to begin with and now needs the extra time to add the new content, which will reshifts the books layout, I had all the same dilemmas and was continuous justifying the cost against content and now with all the extras I have added to my book I have a clean conscience about the amount of artwork imagery and everything else in there, my only nag is my book is 132 pages big and feel it might not be big enough in printed form based on the size in which I wanted it printed at..

Another small thing I have with a project like this, hiring or involving a graphic design student imo wasnt a great choice, as they have very little experience and tolerance for meeting deadlines or due dates for finished work, I'm not doubting his ability, but having an assignment in on time are completely two different things as your statement has already mentioned, it possible would of served you well to have been pipelining this long before you decided to do a kick starter , like many others have most of the time they mainly are at 50-75-80% completed development before doing a kick starter to help its final stretch but based on the project of course.

I'm happy Tim has decided to put in the extra time and effort and been so honest with his backers on this, what they now can expect is a very special  and unique book when its done and with something worth while having for the love of arcade game marquee artwork :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 17:54:22 PM »
This only means we'll be getting a better product, so I have no problem with the wait myself.  :)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 17:55:35 PM »
Yes, I think it should be really worth the wait, as well he can roll out all the t-shirts and things to make it super special :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 23:51:12 PM »
Here is an update on the project from today.  I've boldfaced one rather interesting bit from the update...

[font=georgia:3bekud9c]Project Update #25: One more quick update before we go to press...

...and the presses roll on Monday 10th of February :-)

I'll start shipping books, shirts, framed prints and canvasses out to you brilliant backers 10 days later.

The ISBN number has been re-issued as I've made a few changes to the book. It now has a few more pages than I first planned and the publisher of record is different because I've set up a new company to publish this and any future books. Nothing major: it's just me!

There's more news to come regarding possible future volumes and as soon as I have concrete facts to report, you guys will be the first to know about it.

I want to send you all my heartfelt thanks for all of your support, help and patience. It means the world to me that this book is just about to become a real, physical object and the whole thing was made possible because of you 514 brilliant backers.

I'll be at the printers to see the first pages come off the press and there'll be video footage to share with you that day. I'll send out a link a couple of days beforehand.

We're almost there :-)

Ready player 1?

Tim[/font:3bekud9c]

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 16:24:48 PM »
Great update fella. :113:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 16:09:58 PM »
There's a new update for this project that was posted today...

[size=140]Progress & Problems...[/size]

Hello again (finally)

I realise that this is a little later than expected and I apologise for that, but I've been extraordinarily busy trying to get to a position where I can tell you not just about the problems we've had getting the print quality right, but also the solutions we've come up with to fix things.

The proofing of the sample pages was a mixed bag of successful and not-quite-so-successful results: the pages themselves are the right size, shape and quality required to produce a really excellent art book, however, the colours were off-the-charts wrong :-(

Number one problem right now is the reproduction of the large areas of solid black in some of the marquee images. The print looks fine on uncoated proofing paper, but has a very clear bronze tint when printed on the coated satin stock I've chosen for the book. Apparently, this is something to do with relationship between the refractive nature of the clay coating on the paper and the type of ink. It only becomes noticeable when the pages are viewed at an angle, but it's the exact angle that a book like ours is viewed from.

There a few options we can try to remedy the problem:
  • Change to a different paper
  • Change to a different ink
  • Apply a varnish to each page
  • Use a 'spot colour' opaque black

Each one of these has advantages & disadvantages, along with cost implications and, in the case of the option to varnish each page, reduced yield of usable sheets. I've been in constant contact with the print company as they've spent the last week trying to find the right solution.

At this point, it's not clear which is the best way to go, but we'll work it out over the next few days.

Ready for more problems? OK, here we go...

The company in New Jersey I'd agreed terms with to ship the books to USA backers on my behalf went out of business. The cost of shipping 150+ heavy books individually across the Atlantic is mind-bogglingly expensive so, I worked out a deal where I'd package and address each copy, then ship them to the drop shipper as bulk freight, ready for domestic shipping in the USA. Right now, I can't find anyone willing to do a similar deal. I'll keep looking, but at this point it looks like I'll have to absorb the cost of shipping each copy from the UK.

One more problem and then I'll stop I promise!

I really don't like some of the page backgrounds I came up with :-(

They looked great when I printed them on my proofer, but trimmed to size and sewn into sections they're a distraction from the marquee images themselves. While the printers are figuring out the colour stuff, I'm taking the opportunity to rework some of the pages.

So, I'm having a tough time with all this right now, but I'll get everything sorted absolutely as soon as I can.

You all have my word on that.

Thanks for the continued support - it means everything to me.

Tim

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 17:55:30 PM »
Feel for the guy, thats a lot to contend with..

Eugenio to the rescue dropship style lol..

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 18:00:48 PM »
He definitely has a few headaches to work through.  The one about shipping is horrible, though.