Author Topic: Your most crushing disappointments in gaming?  (Read 6742 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Your most crushing disappointments in gaming?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 01:51:02 AM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
Speaking of E.T., anyone ever see the episode of Rambo on Robot Chicken? Rambo is being tortured and one of his captors was playing E.T., making him watch! :21:

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 21:29:50 PM »
Defender on 2600 was a huge disappointment for me too.. however I did clock serious hours up on it as it played OK once you adjusted to its limitations.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 22:00:42 PM »
Quote from: "davyK"

Defender on 2600 was a huge disappointment for me too.. however I did clock serious hours up on it as it played OK once you adjusted to its limitations.
Yes, the original Defender on the 2600 was a disappointment to me as well.  Thankfully, Atari did a superb job when they adapted Stargate/Defender II! 

Offline DZ-Jay

• View Profile
    • http://www.CarolVsGhost.com
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 22:05:43 PM »
I must say, my biggest disappointment was the Coleco Donkey Kong for the Intellivision.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 22:16:16 PM »
Quote from: "DZ-Jay"
I must say, my biggest disappointment was the Coleco Donkey Kong for the Intellivision.

Yep, I can see that!  That's one awful port!

Offline sloan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "sloan"
I must have been easy to please because I never had any issues with Donkey Kong, Burger Time, or Pac Man on VCS. In fact, DK and Burger Time saw plenty of hours logged.

I was very disappointed with the three of them but both DK and BT got a lot of hours of play.  Pac-Man, on the other hand, I hated and I still refuse to play it to this day.  Today there is no need to play that version given the fantastic homebrew versions available.

I guess I never had any grand expectations for VCS games. I was an avid arcade player back then and just knew that the arcade versions would always be head and shoulders above any home ports. Even with only two screens, I was just thankful to be able to play DK on my home TV screen. Can't say I was ever a big fan of Pac Man at the arcade, but did play the home port with some regularity and do not remember thinking I was somehow shorted on the VCS version.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »
I liked DK and BurgerTime on the VCS. Playing K.C. Munchkin on the Odyssey 2 before Pac-Man made me feel it was the better version. I still wanted to own the official 2600 title, even if it was not arcade perfect.

Threshold on the 2600 was my favorite Phoenix clone as a kid. As a grownup it sure disappoints!

Offline slacey1070

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 13:14:16 PM »
Owed: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Colour, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox360, DS, PSP, 3DS.

Offline slacey1070

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 13:30:20 PM »
ah, apologies... just noticed this was in "retro" section! Whilst I stand by my last post...

Mercenary... C64... Now, I'm more than happy to accept that this is probably more to do with me than the game. I remember reading a preview for this in C&VG (the one with Bond and Grace Jones on the cover from a View to A Kill) - I was AMAZED by it. It looked amazing and sounded even better... every week I'd visit The Micro Shop hoping it was out and asking when it was coming. Months went by. I got a Saturday job there. Then one day I turned up for work on Saturday and it was OUT!!! I couldn't wait to play it.... and then I worked out I'd never get very far with it and I couldn't work out what the hell was going on.... I'm still sad about it.
Owed: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Colour, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox360, DS, PSP, 3DS.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 14:26:45 PM »
Quote from: "slacey1070"

Amen to all the above.Loved BF:BC+BCII, gutted when series seemed to have been put out to pasture.

As for 360....i loved the 'Blades' dashboard and would have welcomed the option to keep that, just have the extra's i wanted added to it with the updates (ability to instal disc to HDD) i def.did not want this Avatar shite, nor the adverts.....

Sony just as bad, no, worse....i did not ask for the Singstar icon on my dashboard, i cannot remove it, but nothing was so frustrating as being forced to slowly download a patch for games you'd bought that Sony had now decided to add Move+3DTV support to...

Fantastic idea, if you owned either or both of the above, sure it added to the games, but they should have been optional and those of us without either, should have been able to skip them.

MS again:Canning 360 Freelancer sequel, utter b*stards!.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 14:29:00 PM »
ah, apologies... just noticed this was in "retro" section! Whilst I stand by my last post...

Mercenary... C64... Now, I'm more than happy to accept that this is probably more to do with me than the game. I remember reading a preview for this in C&VG (the one with Bond and Grace Jones on the cover from a View to A Kill) - I was AMAZED by it. It looked amazing and sounded even better... every week I'd visit The Micro Shop hoping it was out and asking when it was coming. Months went by. I got a Saturday job there. Then one day I turned up for work on Saturday and it was OUT!!! I couldn't wait to play it.... and then I worked out I'd never get very far with it and I couldn't work out what the hell was going on.... I'm still sad about it.

A game i'd read a lot about during my Atari 800XL owning days, could never get into, tried again on C64, nope....

A very clever game for sure, but just not my thing.

Can't say i was dissapointed, more confused...like yourself it seemed hellva struggle to figure out wtf you were supposed to be doing.

Offline slacey1070

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 15:14:44 PM »
I was disappointed with Mercenary because, in my head, I'd built it RIGHT up to be something it could never, ever be....

But as you say, amazingly clever... and years ahead of its time.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 15:43:44 PM »
I was disappointed with Mercenary because, in my head, I'd built it RIGHT up to be something it could never, ever be....

But as you say, amazingly clever... and years ahead of its time.

Edge did a superb Making Of....on the game.

Would love to get it up on here, but don't think publisher would be too happy.

Offline slacey1070

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 15:55:41 PM »
Pity I missed that - bet its an interesting game... that was one clever programmer

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 18:43:02 PM »
Re:2600 Pac-Man:

I've read in past, Todd Frye (coder of said game) 'defending it, basically saying it was developed on a 4K Rom by himself in just in 5 months, where as Ms Pac-Man was done by  a 3-man team, on an 8K Rom in 6 months and the $K Rom was the problem, his version had a 2-Player mode which ate into what little memory there was and after the release of Pac-Man, Atari set the rule that every new game needed to have an 8K Rom.

He also said that when he started coding Pac-Man, not only were 8K Rom's not avaiable, but Pac-Man was'nt a particularly big game, 'Pac-Man Fever' hit sometime between start and finish of his conversion.

He said he made the best decisions he could based on the technology avaiable at the time, but had he started coding 6 months later, he'd have done things differently.