Author Topic: Your most crushing disappointments in gaming?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
Re: Your most crushing disappointments in gaming?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 21:47:24 PM »
The day Sega quit as a videogame console manufacturer.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 21:48:02 PM »
Well, I'll post the two most obvious ones for me (and many other people):

[align=center:2ifj1c02]Pac-Man for the Atari 2600

Atari 2600 Donkey Kong[/align:2ifj1c02]

I remember early wanting these games and being disappointed at how different from the arcade they were.  I still played them anyhow.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 20:16:48 PM »
Here is another one of mine (and along the same theme as my last pick) the Spectrum version of Double Dragon!

I completed this game in the arcades with my brother several times back in the day so was really excited when I saw it was coming to the good old Speccy. Shame it was an utter crap conversion with horrid graphics, hardly any sound and zero enhancements on a 128k machine (so it was also missing the stunning soundtrack too  :20:)

[align=center:1vwgrc4v]Double Dragon Walkthrough, ZX Spectrum[/align:1vwgrc4v]

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 20:44:10 PM »
Here's another disappointment for me.  Burger Time on the Atari 2600.  I'd love to see someone redo this game for the system.

[align=center:2pxstnxw]Atari 2600 Burger Time[/align:2pxstnxw]

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 21:26:19 PM »
Playing the pure shit that was nemesis for the fist time on my CPC.
Playing Double Dragon on the SMS, could have been way better - see R-Type.
Playing Outrun on the CPC, nothing more than a sick joke. Again could have done so much better - see Chase HQ
Discovering the awesome conversion of renegade for the CPC, the discovering the shit control method.

I could go on forever lol.
Bitches leave

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 17:38:16 PM »
Loving Double Dragon II on the Nes and buying Double Dragon III. DD III was no improvement. Guess bigger DD's only works with women. :4:

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 19:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
Loving Double Dragon II on the Nes and buying Double Dragon III. DD III was no improvement. Guess bigger DD's only works with women. :4:

Well, 'DD' was an epic fail for Nintendo too, lol.

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 23:01:40 PM »
Good call DC. Forgot about it. I do like the look.

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »
I'm with the DDV vote too. I went to Electronics Boutique in 1995 I think, to buy a Jag game. I bought DDV blind, this was pre-internet you know, because I thought it was going to be a traditional Double Dragon  game. When I booted it up, I wasn't thrilled to find out it was a Street Fighter style game, and I was even less thrilled when the gameplay just sucked so horribly. My whole drive home I was thinking how great it was going to be to play a new Double Dragon game on the Jaguar. Seriously, I didn't even look at it too hard at the store, I just saw 'Double Dragon V' on the box and bought it, remembering how great the series was. One of my dumber impulse buys in video games.

Offline sloan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 00:12:55 AM »
I must have been easy to please because I never had any issues with Donkey Kong, Burger Time, or Pac Man on VCS. In fact, DK and Burger Time saw plenty of hours logged.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 00:27:56 AM »
Quote from: "sloan"
I must have been easy to please because I never had any issues with Donkey Kong, Burger Time, or Pac Man on VCS. In fact, DK and Burger Time saw plenty of hours logged.

I was very disappointed with the three of them but both DK and BT got a lot of hours of play.  Pac-Man, on the other hand, I hated and I still refuse to play it to this day.  Today there is no need to play that version given the fantastic homebrew versions available.

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
VCS Pac-Man and DK still played good, that's why they never bothered me. To me, 2600 Defender was a big letdown, but it still played kind of OK. I don't think I was ever overhyped about a 2600 game though, I was just happy to be playing video games at home! I even found plenty of great gaming hours with E.T. back then.

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »
A long while back, I had bought a 3DO, because I had stumbled upon a guide for Way of the Warrior. This guide basically made it sound like the best game ever, so I bought a 3DO off of EBay for $40. To nobody's surprise, it was basically NOT the best game ever. I mean, I still got the console out of it, but... well, this is one of the many reasons I emulate more and more. Oh, if you're curious, here's the guide, Maybe I should have noticed it was from 1994.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 01:35:19 AM »
Speaking of E.T., anyone ever see the episode of Rambo on Robot Chicken? Rambo is being tortured and one of his captors was playing E.T., making him watch! :24: