Author Topic: Your favorite gaming franchise?  (Read 824 times)

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
Your favorite gaming franchise?
« on: March 23, 2013, 13:53:42 PM »
What's your all-time favorite gaming franchise?

Was thinking about this after posting in another thread and figured it might make a decent discussion... or maybe 'out' some Mario fanboys. :21:

Franchise defined as:
- character or series with games across more than one console generation.
- must have some variety in gaming genres/appearances. (making the transition from 2D to 3D is valid)

Mine is Ghosts & Goblins. The core games are amazing, and I enjoyed all of the spin-offs, side games, and Arthur cameos. Maximo, Demon's Crest, Gargoyle Quest, Incredible Toons, MvC3.

Rayman/Rabbids would probably be my second choice. I'm not a big platformer fan, but I've enjoyed most of the Rayman games and the first Rabbids titles were hilarious.

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Your favorite gaming franchise?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 14:02:21 PM »
Good topic but a bloody hard question!

I want to say Streets Of Rage but there was only 3 games really and it doesn't fit your remit.

So now I really need to have a think about this . . . .

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 14:27:18 PM »
I think Streets of Rage is more of a 'series' than a 'franchise'... at least until Sega realizes that it deserves a PSN update. :)

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 14:33:24 PM »
Very good question and a tough one. I like caveman games. Most do not have sequels.

B.C. 's Quest for tires would probably be my favorite, but the second game was called Grog's Revenge. Caveman games on the Nes is good fun. No second game.

Bonk would have to be my top franchise pick followed by Chuck Rock - Chuck Rock, Chuck Rock II and appearance in B.C. Racers.

I enjoy Pac-Man games. Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, Pac-Land, Pac-Man 2: the New Adventures, Super Pac-Man and on and on....

Maybe I am more of a theme person than franchise.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 14:48:07 PM »
Pac-Man definitely counts, I thought of that I have to say as there are loads of Pac-Man games that I love.

Most of the others that I thought of had a few duffers in their respective catalogues.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 15:06:56 PM »
Laird, was there any franchises you liked on the computers you have played?

I know your not a fan of the Nes. The older consoles did not seem to carry over much as sequels. It seemed to be more of an update of the original game.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 17:15:38 PM »
This is really hard to decide but off the top of my head I'll say Sonic the Hedgehog. Played a lot of Sonic games over the years and while I haven't enjoyed them all I still love the character.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 18:39:31 PM »
Very difficult as cannot think of a single franchise that's not stumbled or stumbling.

Loved things like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Xcom, Halo, etc but ohh i just dunno.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 18:39:56 PM »
I got one!

OutRun!  :16:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 22:57:32 PM »
This got me thinking...

The worst thing for a franchise is too become too sucsessful.why? pressure then put on to get another game out NOW! NOW! and thus you get spin-off's, yearly sequels, new programming teams with no clue what made original so special, deadlines etc.

I loved 1st Deadspace, thought it was going to be THE franchise of this gen, soon as 2nd got dumbed down, yet sold far more than the 1st, it was green light an even dumber 3rd game....

look at A.Creed, 4 Main-Games this gen (so far), plus 2 Vita games a PSP game, DS game, it's production line game design.

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 23:09:02 PM »
I think 'series' is a more appropriate label for most of the modern gaming 'franchises'. I added the definitions at the start hoping to avoid modern games with endless same-gen sequels and recycled game engines. Dead Space and Assassin's Creed break both of the rules.  :112:

Also, it doesn't have to be a pick for the best quality franchise or most consistent franchise. Just personal picks of the franchise(s) that you enjoy the most... warts and all.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:13:43 AM »
Well, i'll refer back to my original mention's, XCOM is a good example of how it soon went Pete Tong:

The original was/still is fantastic, starts out on PC/Amiga, gets CD32 version, PSone version, Terror From The Deep, bigger, harder game, different coding team, same engine, makes it to PSone again, for the 3rd game, it's PC Only, no PSone version this time, series stays on PC, but gets spun off into Interceptor (a space Combat affair with R+D etc elements), Enforcer a god awful 3rd person affair, that's Xcom in name only, a true sequel by original coders planned for a then new generation of hardware (PS2+PC), gets canned, turned into a Pc only reworking (UFO Aftermath)...all goes quiet until annoucements of initally 1 reboot on this gen platforms...The FPs 1950's era Xcom and then a second reboot, much more in alignment with the original series, a turn-based affair and i end up loving it all over again.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 17:03:57 PM »
Another one I just thought of is Bubble Bobble!

I love the 4 platform games; Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars and Bubble Symphony.

I also love the spin off Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble games!  :16: