Author Topic: What retro game would you like to see get a modern commerica  (Read 6458 times)

Offline sloan

• View Profile
Re: What retro game would you like to see get a modern comme
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 00:18:10 AM »
VCS Enduro.

Not in the style of current racing fraanchises like Forza or Gran Turismo. No, I am imagining a game that allows you to drive for days on end with changing weather patterns like the original, and the cars being slightly pixelated, slightly similar to the original. The difference would be modernized scenery and roads. Maybe too boring for modern tastes, but for people like me who played that game a lot way back when, it would be a nice update to say the least.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 00:42:07 AM »
Quote from: "sloan"
VCS Enduro.

Not in the style of current racing fraanchises like Forza or Gran Turismo. No, I am imagining a game that allows you to drive for days on end with changing weather patterns like the original, and the cars being slightly pixelated, slightly similar to the original. The difference would be modernized scenery and roads. Maybe too boring for modern tastes, but for people like me who played that game a lot way back when, it would be a nice update to say the least.

Really nice idea actually! I would love to see this personally, you could even add online leaderboards to record who did each 'section' in the best time  :16:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 00:57:53 AM »
VCS Enduro is not a bad idea for a remake.  Keeping it still with the same gameplay but with enhanced graphics, it would be a great game.  It could be done even for the retro Atari system (5200 and/or 7800) since they both can do better graphics.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline sloan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 03:18:58 AM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
VCS Enduro is not a bad idea for a remake.  Keeping it still with the same gameplay but with enhanced graphics, it would be a great game.  It could be done even for the retro Atari system (5200 and/or 7800) since they both can do better graphics.

5200 Enduro with updated graphics would be super sweet, on the super system  :113:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 19:19:03 PM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "The Laird"
It was finished (Darran Jones still has his review copy) it's a complete mystery however why it was never released.

Now that's a rare collectible  :13: Some people would spend a ton of money for something like that!!!

Looks like it was sent to all 3 of the big Nintendo magazines:

Nintendo Power, The Official Nintendo Magazine and Retro Gamer.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 21:31:18 PM »

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 21:49:14 PM »
That's a good one.  I take it you'd like to see it made into a modern raster game?  It's hard to improve upon vector graphics.  :)

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 21:59:06 PM »
That's a good one.  I take it you'd like to see it made into a modern raster game?  It's hard to improve upon vector graphics.  :)

I would try and keep that kind of style though, think Tempest 2000 style visuals. Which is funny I suppose because Jeff Minter was working on Major Havoc 2000 for the Jaguar.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 22:01:41 PM »

I would try and keep that kind of style though, think Tempest 2000 style visuals. Which is funny I suppose because Jeff Minter was working on Major Havoc 2000 for the Jaguar.

That works.  Too bad he didn't make it a reality for us to play!  Or, more accurately, Atari didn't!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 21:35:17 PM »
Another game I would love to see get remade is one of the proper old school, vertically scrolling army man shooters like Ikari Warriors, Commando, Gun Smoke or Heavy Barrel

In fact my personal pick would be the brilliant Mercs (the sequel to Commando)

Mercs (Arcade) in 10:23.03 by DarkKobold

You wouldn't have to mess with it much, just update the visuals, add levels in different countries/and or time setting and add multi-player modes too - think something like COD but in classic 2D!!!

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 21:53:18 PM »
Another game I would love to see get remade is one of the proper old school, vertically scrolling army man shooters like Ikari Warriors, Commando, Gun Smoke or Heavy Barrel

You wouldn't have to mess with it much, just update the visuals, add levels in different countries/and or time setting and add multi-player modes too - think something like COD but in classic 2D!!!

A greatly missed genre for myself, loved core designs Warzone on ST+Amiga as well as titles you mentioned.Last thing similar i played was Rage's Millennium Solider:Expendable on Dreamcast along with GBA MOH.

Offline Katzkatz

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 19:25:19 PM »

I loved Mercs in the arcade.  A great game.  Be nice to see a remake - but, 2D is out of fashion at the moment - sadly! 

Offline Katzkatz

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 20:37:09 PM »
I'd also love to see SWIV get a proper remake - and again - no 3D!   There was a sort of quasi 3D version released for the PC as a sequel. 

SWIV in all its original 2D glory :-

Swiv (amiga) 2 players pt. 1/2

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 23:05:40 PM »
Some great games mentioned there but I can only go with my personal experiences and say a remake of Crystal Castles would be awesome.

My mind boggles with the possibilities. To think how incredible the 3D GFX would be on a modern machine and how the game could be expanded with hidden levels and seeing inside the rooms he pops in and out of :113:

Enter the latest Jaguar competition here: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7798.0

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
Quote from: "Cryptic33"
Some great games mentioned there but I can only go with my personal experiences and say a remake of Crystal Castles would be awesome.

My mind boggles with the possibilities. To think how incredible the 3D GFX would be on a modern machine and how the game could be expanded with hidden levels and seeing inside the rooms he pops in and out of :113:

This would indeed be a great game if remade today!