Author Topic: American ports harder than Japanese games?  (Read 575 times)

Offline romanoaj31

• View Profile
American ports harder than Japanese games?
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »
For years I have been under the impression that American ports of Japanese games were easier than their counterparts.  I mainly thought this because we never received the Super Mario 2 back in the 80s, but settled for the easier Doki Doki Panic. 

This year, when playing the Japanese versions Castlevania: Bloodlines and Streets of Rage 3 (Bare Knuckle 3), I realized that I had the wrong idea.  After years of torment falling off The Tower of Pisa in the former title, I finally survived in my latest sitting.  Why oh why did the western divisions of certain companies change the difficulty settings.  Did they think it'll give the game more longevity for your money?  Play Streets of Rage 3 on "easy" and you will feel woefully inadequate and second-guess your status as a gamer. 

My question to the forum is what other titles can you think of that commit this heinous ratcheting up of difficulty? 

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: American ports harder than Japanese games?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
There have been loads, although none spring to mind right now. I remember Sega, I think it was, stating that western gamers, especially Europeans, were used to harder games because they had grown up with home computers where games were generally more difficult. This makes sense when you think how tough all those old Spectrum platformers were like Manic Miner and Dizzy.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 20:26:20 PM »
Have heard about the difficulty differences - but i thought it was the other way round! Probably because of the SMB:Lost Levels being a JPN only release.

However I have PAL and JPN versions of Super Aleste - I scraped through the PAL version back in the day but I 1CC'd the JPN version with ease when I picked it up last year - not sure what that means though - could have been a PAL non-optimisation issue that caused that.

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
The Japanese Bloodlines is easier?

Edit: I tried it out. I actually found the Japanese one harder. The boss after Death, but before Dracula, has an extra bit that I don't remember being in the US version.