Author Topic: Office Gaming Tourney  (Read 1623 times)

Offline davyk

• View Profile
Office Gaming Tourney
« on: February 17, 2013, 13:04:21 PM »
I look through the retro event area with jealous eyes....you just don't get that happening in Northern Ireland. (Maybe it does but I've no knowledge of it). I started a gaming league in work a year or so ago to make up for it. I work in IT so I believed I would some sort of response and there are between 12 and 20 of us who now take part on this. Details below.

I'll post here from time to time reporting on how these events go. We have access to a projector and screen which really makes this a great fun event and I can recommend this to anyone.

Offline dougtitchmarsh

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://douglastitchmarsh.com
Re: Office Gaming Tourney
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 14:17:09 PM »
That sounds like great fun and a good team building exercise for the workplace. Couldn't imagine doing it in my workplace though.
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 14:25:51 PM »
Brilliant idea, I have heard of people doing this in the past.

I knew a guy who was in the army too and he took his Jaguar out to Basra! He did high score compos on Gorf and Raiden, 4-player NBA Jam tournament, World Cup on Sensible Soccer and 2-player knockout on Atari Karts among other games. He had some great photos too.

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 14:52:35 PM »
You mention photos.....have thought of recording some of the matches - just a webcam and a laptop and then some software to edit it down for the rest of the office to watch.

I had the Tetris equipment set up in the canteen a few days before the comp - it created a good atmosphere at tea breaks and lunchtime in the run-down to Christmas.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 15:02:50 PM »
Yeah good idea!  8)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 17:36:32 PM »
What a fantastic idea..

I guess having a great working environment like yours especially IT has helped get this of the ground.. Not something we could do and we don't have lunch breaks lol..

Anyway, keep us informed.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
OK - Super Monkey Ball event happened last Friday (a week late)

This was the original Gamecube version. There is a split screen competition mode that awards bananas for place in a race plus you pick them up throughout the level. We played 2 player vs.

As the guys had never played it before we just played Beginner levels 1-6 (skipping 5 which is a bonus level) and levels 4-9 for the final.

I forgot how great this game is with a roomful of people - lots of laughs and this mode is highly competitive as you are racing to pick up the bananas as well as racing for the goal so some decisions about short-cuts have to be made - and the banana count is hidden in the final level.

There were some comments about how the controller looks - its Fisher Price styling is even more shocking nowadays but it is beautifully responsive - especially with this game.

A resounding success and one to keep in the league.

When you consider the other modes available in this game it represents brilliant value for money really.

The GC connected to the old projector via an RGB SCART to s-video adaptor was pretty ropey but it got the job done - looked fine when sitting back.

Next event : Atari 2600 Combat (game 6 - Tank Pong in simple maze)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
Brilliant stuff fella. Great to hear its going well. Super Monkey Ball sure is a fantastic game, great fun with a party of people that's for sure.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 18:34:30 PM »
Quote from: "davyK"
Next event : Atari 2600 Combat (game 6 - Tank Pong in simple maze)

For an even better version of Tank Combat look up Armor Ambush on the 2600  8)

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 20:05:56 PM »
Atari Tank - 2600
It's not often that a group of people in an office sit down in front of an Atari 2600 and play the ancient Combat cartridge - but this lunchtime it happened - and with great success.

Total bemusement - younger ones found it hard to adjust to the controls (some are half the age of the hardware), and the reset switch on the console is a novelty - but that old 2 player versus gameplay is still intact. At times this game was a riot. It went down extremely well.

I had to use the black and white mode because for some reason the assembly of various cables, adaptors and a Sony VCR required for a projector connection resulted in loss of colour - but in a way that made it better.

It's pretty competitive and we played the version that allows you to bounce bullets off the walls and obstacles. The mechanics of the game allow for quickly emergent tactics that have modern counterparts such as spawn camping - you can maneouvre your opponent into a position where you can ream off several hits without reply but it makes for comeback play too so its all good. The more complex maze used for the 3rd place play off and final stymied that tactic quite a bit anyhow.

Overall a success - and again seeing those ancient images on a screen-size never imagined by the developers because of a projector makes it great for spectating. I considered this one a bit of a gamble but it paid off - it isn't something to return to in a short space of time but I can see it featuring in the programme in future years should the league live on.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 20:07:43 PM »
Sounds awesome! Shame you don't have a photo!  :113:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 20:12:22 PM »
This is truely a fantastic idea and i am chuffed you have gotten a great response from your colleagues..

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 23:30:36 PM »
Meant to post a few weeks ago.....we had a Virtua Tennis 2 doubles tourney during the second week of Wimbledon in the work canteen.

I have never had the chance to try the 4 player mode and it's a fantastic game for 4 people. It's the first time I've had all 4 of my arcade sticks going with the DC too - really adds to the experience. Add in the VGA box and projector and you have a splendid time - and its the sort of thing that draws spectators too.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 20:16:37 PM »
Great stuff fella..

Perhaps you should grab some pics one day..

Offline davyk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 20:56:02 PM »
Tap Runner comp ran on Friday.

Two groups of 4 raced until one won 3 races and then the top 2 in each group qualified for the final.

the final was really close and the whole thing was extremely competitive.

This game is hilarious - and uses a control method that is limited but garnered a lot of interest from those who aren't really into console gaming or restrict themselves to 360/PS3 gaming.

It's a light game re content - it wouldn't stand up to long term play but it's perfect fodder for the office tournament...

I was knocked out in the qualifying stages.....there's always next month - Halloween sees the return of Typing of the Dead on Dreamcast.

I keep getting asked for photos by you guys....forgot to arrange it - which is a pity as seeing 4 players lined up with the 4 wii remotes on Sega branded Tap boxes in front of the big projected screen was quite a sight....