Author Topic: What Retro Games Have You Played Recently?  (Read 96052 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: What Retro Games Have You Played Recently?
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2012, 15:43:01 PM »
Atari Greatest Hits Vol.1 on the Nintendo DS!

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2012, 20:30:34 PM »
Completed Heretic (PC)

Offline CeefaxOfDelphi

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2012, 19:13:10 PM »
had another go at Nodes of Yesod - I dont normally play speccy stuff - but nice to try something different. 

Starting Ocarina of Time next week - time to see if RPGs from Nintendo are my thing or not

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2012, 19:23:38 PM »
I played Crazy Taxi on the Dremcast for about and hour or so and then played Atari Greatest Hits on the DS for about an hour too.

Offline Flukesy

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2012, 20:57:45 PM »
I got to say I've started to go through Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past again such a great game.

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2012, 21:12:13 PM »
Completed Hexen: Beyond Heretic (PC)

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2012, 22:01:23 PM »
I started playing Midnight Resistance on the C64 on Friday.  It's a game I'd not tried before and, wow, was I missing out.  It's reminiscent of Contra in many ways and is all the better for that fact.  And, typical of these games or perhaps just how I find them, it's tough as old leather boots though thankfully not in an unfair manner.

It's great to find a gem I've never played on a system I'm fond of.

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:40 AM »
I've been playing a lot of the Genesis/Mega Drive sequel to Pengo. Not a lot of people talk about it, since it never got released outside of Japan. That might have to do with the fact it's a giant Bomberman ripoff. Seriously, even the battle mode is ripped straiught from Bomberman. It's not a bad game, just... not original. At all.

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2012, 19:05:38 PM »
Completed Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2012, 20:39:27 PM »
Not gaming as such (been on short turn-around wk, so zero time for it as such), but due to something being up with my broadband, gone back to dial up speeds for online.I swear my Dreamcast and 33K modem loaded pages quicker than what i've been getting past few days.

Hope to get some Retro in on my days off mind.

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2012, 19:19:18 PM »
I've was busy with a c64 emulator last night and played these......

BMX Simulator - not as good as I remember  :)

Judge Dredd - not a clue what was going on. I'll have to get the instruction manual and try again.

Midnight Resistance - I'm still impressed with this. The choices of equipment give quite a variety to the gameplay.

Target Renegade - Not quite as good as I remember, although me not being as proficient with the game, as I was, is definitely a factor here. I enjoyed playing it but couldn't get as far into the game as I used to, see previous sentence, so, I cheated. And I feel no shame.  I switched on unlimited health and time and headed back into the game world. I finally get to the part that always used to defeat me in the past. I would always run out of time trying to get to the phone at the end of the street after facing off with numerous 'beasty boys', skinny jean & baseball cap wearing neds, and their savage, but beautifully animated, pitbull sidekicks. It used to infuriate me! I'd be a few steps from the phone, time would run out and I'd get the game over message. But, not this time!  Onwards I went.  Next up is a short level. It's set in a bar, the assailants seem to be ugly looking bouncers and there's the final boss, Mr Big! I never knew how close I used to be to completing this game! The boss character wasn't even particularly difficult to beat so I'm certain, had I got through the previous level all those years ago, I could've finished it.

The challenge wasn't quite zero, but that wasn't the point to this exercise. It was fun seeing the levels I used to be able to get to without the cheats activated and finally see the ending.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2012, 21:21:29 PM »
The nice thing about most C64 emulators is you do not have the wait time of the disk drive. The rotten thing about most C64 emulators is you do not have the wait time of the disk drive to get a drink or read the paper.

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2012, 23:18:20 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
The nice thing about most C64 emulators is you do not have the wait time of the disk drive. The rotten thing about most C64 emulators is you do not have the wait time of the disk drive to get a drink or read the paper.

:D Yes, making sure refreshments are to hand before booting up VICE should be part of the ritual.  I know I do!

Back in the day, when I got a new game, the loading time was always my opportunity to flick through the manual, get the gist of the back story, figure out controls and perhaps drool over screen shots.  Unless it was Red Storm Rising, Silent Service or Gunship or something similar when even enormous loading times were not enough to digest the volume of reading material supplied with the games!

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2012, 00:22:04 AM »
just been playing Crusader No Remorse on Saturn, excellent little 3rd person game! nice use of weapons and items and the camera view is good

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2012, 17:01:26 PM »
Completed Aero Fighters (SNES)