Author Topic: Favourite turn based games?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
Re: Favourite turn based games?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 02:32:31 AM »
Too many RPGs and strategy RPGs to count for me.

If I have to select one that immediately comes to my mind it would be Langrisser II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtNy1mBMls0

I love this game so much I have sex with the cartridge on a regular base.

It has also blatantly been ripped off by the Atari-800-homebrew His Dark Majesty. Would love to play it if I had an 800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2hH3oU ... r_embedded

Seeing that the 8-bit Ataris used a 6502 tooI would love to get the sourcecode and convince a coder to work on an enhanced Lynx port with me...
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 13:01:06 PM »
And i forgot Valkyria Chronicles on PS3, a game i only recently returned to and completed.One of the best games on PS3, yet to try the PSP games.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 17:08:29 PM »
I'm in the same boat as 108 Stars, too many RPGs and strategy RPGs to list.
I will say that the Arc the Lad series has some of my favorites though. Incredible strategy and really fun games.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 22:58:40 PM »
Dammit I had to go buy another Worms game now  >:(

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
Well apart from the obvious Suikoden, Phantasy Star 4 and Might and Magic: Gates to Another World I do love Lords of Chaos, Master of Magic and Bards Tale and Johnny Rebb 2 on C64.

Offline StickHead

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/thejoyofsticks
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 20:05:09 PM »
Nobody's mentioned Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday on the Megadrive yet, so I thought I'd give it a nod. Great atmosphere, and I loved the fact that you could befriend the alien races if you trod carefully, providing really powerful allies. The further you got in the game, the more you got attached to the characters you created. Great stuff.

Has anyone said Advance Wars yet? That was so simple, so easy to get into, and only started to unfurl its nuances and strategic depth as time went on. Very addictive, and great for a mobile platform.
[size=180]The Joy of STicks[/size] - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 20:25:19 PM »
Quote from: "StickHead"
Nobody's mentioned Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday on the Megadrive yet, so I thought I'd give it a nod. Great atmosphere, and I loved the fact that you could befriend the alien races if you trod carefully, providing really powerful allies. The further you got in the game, the more you got attached to the characters you created. Great stuff.

Has anyone said Advance Wars yet? That was so simple, so easy to get into, and only started to unfurl its nuances and strategic depth as time went on. Very addictive, and great for a mobile platform.
Great to see nother Buck Rogers fan (crusto mentioned it on the MD thread), proof that you did'nt need mindblowing visuals to make a superb game.I completed it on MD after many a late nighter, just had me hooked and despite it's lowly audio+visual aspects, i found it delivered a superb atmosphere.

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 21:19:39 PM »
I would love to see an updated version of buck Rogers. The game has the potential to massive. You could lose hours and hours just roaming the galaxy boarding heavy cruisers etc. Theres so much scope to expand on. The space stations were a great idea too.

As for others, I loved vandal hearts, the latest Xcom is great and FF war of the lions is great too.
Bitches leave

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 00:59:40 AM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"
Probably Worms, for me. Great series. If I had to pick a favorite version, it'd probably be Armageddon. For now, though, I make due with Reloaded, since it has fancy Steamworks support. Makes it easier to get games going with people, which is nice. Too bad that it's all we're ever going to see from Team 17 ever again. Actually, how did that Alien Breed reboot sell?

I briefly thought about choosing Civilization, then I remembered that I'm really bad at Civilization. Friggin' Gandhi, man.

I have to agree, it's epic and continues to sell well.

I believe Alien Breed sold very well.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
Quote from: "StickHead"

Hmmm....I have it and have played it a lot but always do the initial base attack, leave for the spaceport and them stop playing!?
Maybe one day I will have to give it the care and attention it clearly deserves....

Offline nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 19:22:57 PM »
WORMS!

I would love a local multiplayer of that.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 18:24:10 PM »
I played Buck Rodgers first on the Commodore 64. Loved saving the characters to disk and building up their attributes. Then reload them to a new game. Breezing thru the game with super strong team members. Almost beat Talon in one on one combat. Probably not possible or the game would crash if you did.