Poll

HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?

Yes - I love them they add new life to the game!
2 (9.1%)
No - Just stick with the original, HD spoils them!
2 (9.1%)
Depends on the game!
17 (77.3%)
Don't really care!
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 24, 2013, 13:34:08 PM

Author Topic: HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Crusto

• View Profile
Re: HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 21:27:56 PM »
Of course, it depends on the game. There's so many classics out there that could benefit from a remake. Like Rogue Trooper says, how the developer would have liked to see them done from the outset maybe. Personally, I would love to games like phantasy star 1 redone, interface improved etc etc but most importantly, kept in 2d but made into a thing of visual and sonic beauty. It would improve the experience no end for us fogies, whilst introducing an all time classic to a whole new audience.
Bitches leave

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 22:10:16 PM »
After this gen's AVP and now Aliens:Colinoal Marines, i'd kill for an remake of Windows'95 AVP on console.Keep the A.I routines, use modern day graphics engine and off you go.

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
Hmmm....I chose No but in retrospect should have chosen Depends on the Game I think.
I was bitter due to my experience with the Hitman HD Collection (which sucks donkey dick) but I realise now we are talking about games being remade and not just given a spray of polish.

So yeah, depends on the game. I would gladly pay full price for an up-to-date remake of any of these...
Arx Fatalis
AVP
Drakan
Shogo
Syndicate (and the remake by Starbreeze can just crawl off and die).
System Shock 2

I think that too many reimaginings (like the aforementioned Syndicate, PSPs Alien Syndrome, Bionic Commando, Perfect Dark on the 360, the vomit-inspiring Front Mission Evolved and  Conkers Bad Fur Day in which all the profanity was removed!!) are being made and frankly they do not work.

Offline StickHead

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/thejoyofsticks
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 20:13:05 PM »
I'm in two minds about them. I'd much rather play the original on the intended hardware, but that isn't always possible, usually due to financial constraints, or practical factors.

So generally speaking, they are making great games more accessible, which can only be a good thing, but if they are done badly it is saddening to see a great game sullied like this.

Rez HD was phenomenal, definitely a high watermark for this kind of thing. I've also enjoyed Out Run 2, Guardian Heroes (once all the stupid rendering was turned off and it was basically just the game I love in widescreen!) and Perfect Dark. I can play both of the last two games in there original form, but involves going into the loft and setting stuff up (damn kids, taking up all the room!) so it is nice to have them instantly accessible.
[size=180]The Joy of STicks[/size] - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

Offline HomerRamone2084

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 15:19:08 PM »
Some games have been [s:3svjtn39]crying[/s:3svjtn39] [s:3svjtn39]screaming[/s:3svjtn39] bellowing out for a remake.
Fortunately Grim is getting one :)

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 16:10:06 PM »
I really think it depends on the game; if the game had to be compromised in some way in its original release, then I'm fine with a remake.  One in particular that comes to mind is Xenogears; it (supposedly) had its budget slashed, and never fully realized the original vision of the project.  I also really enjoyed the GameCube Resident Evil remake, although for nostalgia purposes I still prefer to play that one on the Saturn when I go back to it.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 19:40:08 PM »
The Halo series is a perfect example, Halo:CombatEvolved was a grounbreaking game 10/11 years ago but suffers today with other FPS (inc its sequals) fairing better story and programming wise (AI etc). Halo 2 is likely to be a much better experience as is (apart from the shitty cut off ending) the more well rounded game.

Perfect Dark is one that IMO failed as a HD game, I tried the 360 version once and it felt very tired.

It might be an odd stance for a retro fan but some old games are best left unplayed, HD or not.....

Offline HomerRamone2084

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 18:36:56 PM »
I thought the 360 version to be well underrated. The single player was certainly better than average, but in multiplayer it had stuff that virtually no other 360 games did.
32 player, tons of modes, tweakable bots and settings..

Offline ashleybrierley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
I personally thought that the Resident Evil remakes for the GameCube were phenomenal! I know some don't agree that GameCube is retro, but regardless it kept the great gameplay and was like a huge great overhaul in graphic capability which was...fantastic!
Please visit my blog at: http://retrogamingposts.blogspot.com/

Comments, Followers, Likes or Shares would be most appreciated :-D

Offline bogstandard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 15:13:15 PM »
I don't mind the trend of simply porting an older title that I might not have been able to play in the first place.  Ragnarok ACE (originally on Vita) and Tales of Symphonia (Wii) for the PS3 are prime examples.  I'm not one to buy a game at $60 dollars.  These titles start at a reasonable price.

Of course, the dark side is to port a game after making it impossible to play the copy you already own..

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 22:24:07 PM »
[align=center:11sxmhqd]Game Sack - Remakes[/align:11sxmhqd]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 21:00:19 PM »
I don't mind the HD re-releases as long as enough time has elapsed to actually warrant the effort.  For example, the GameCube edition of Resident Evil (2002) is getting reissued in HD soon.  Since a lot of the terror of Resident Evil comes from its photorealistic characters and environments, I think an HD version will make it more appealing to current-gen gamers.  The Wind Waker HD remaster on the Wii U was also very well done, but again, these games came out ten or twelve years ago, so the time was right for an HD re-release.  When I hear that games like The Last of Us (2013) and Rayman Legends (2013) got re-released in 2014 with updated graphics, I can't help thinking that "HD remaster" is simply a tag studios attach to some games to increase its lifespan without actually changing or improving anything.  Then again, we live in the DLC generation.  Studios love to throw cheap gimmicks at us to keep us playing old games--at least until they're ready to release a new game.

If we're talking about HD remakes exclusively--as in, a game that has been modeled after an older title, but is built from the ground up--then I have mixed views on that subject.  I like some of the ones I've played, but my only real requirement is that the gameplay need to be responsive.  If they can recreate the feel of the originals, I'm usually pretty happy with the end result.
- Ryan