Poll

HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?

Yes - I love them they add new life to the game!
2 (9.1%)
No - Just stick with the original, HD spoils them!
2 (9.1%)
Depends on the game!
17 (77.3%)
Don't really care!
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 24, 2013, 13:34:08 PM

Author Topic: HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?
« on: January 24, 2013, 13:34:08 PM »
So we were talking about this in the chatbox.

With the recent announcements of HD remakes of both Flashback for various formats and Zelda: Wind Waker for Wii U. Do you think these HD remakes are needed or do they spoil the original game?

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
    • http://www.diffusedion.co.uk
Re: HD Remakes Of Classic Games - Good Or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 14:02:11 PM »
This is something that really winds me up.  Sure, I don't have to play the remake but people never shut up about them.

I especially hate hearing about remakes from people who claim to like old games. They can't WAIT to forget about them and replace it with an HD version.

I summed up how I feel about remakes in a post I made on RG:

Oh it's in HD now. Well as I'm not a proper gamer and only care about graphics I suppose I can finally play it!

Add more bloom effect!

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 14:48:35 PM »
I voted YES from initial reaction... but probably should have voted 'Depends on the game!'

I'm always interested in seeing retro classics remade in HD. There's usually a genuine effort made to improve the graphics and add new features. (online leaderboards, online multiplayer, new levels, etc) And, they introduce classic games to a new generation... or people who no longer own their original consoles/games.

BUT, I have no interest in quick HD upscaled re-packaging of games from the previous generation or two. Take away backwards compatibility then try to sell 'HD upgrades' from the previous gen like Wind Waker HD or the God of War Collection, Splinter Cell Collection, Jak and Daxter Collection, etc?   No thanks!

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 14:55:43 PM »
Quote from: "tomwaits"
improve the graphics and add new features. (online leaderboards, online multiplayer, new levels, etc)

I don't see how any of these are improvements.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 14:59:18 PM »
For me it depends on the game and how it is enhanced.  For example, Galaga is a great game but the "arrangement" I have on my PSP collection makes the original formula better not just by adding fancier graphics but by adding bosses and other elements that maintain the charm of the original but enhance the gameplay. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 15:02:28 PM »
I can see why some people might be put off by these HD remakes but I really like them. For one some of the games I've never played before so it's much easier and cheaper to download one of these then to track down the original on ebay. Also sometimes just playing these old games with a modern controller can make a world of difference. The added HD shine isn't the biggest selling point for me but in some games it's nice to see.
Guess I'm just not as big a purist as some people.

Offline dcultrapro

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Antonyv1982?feature=mhee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 15:10:53 PM »
REALLY depends on the game. the HD Re-release of Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi have all been diabolical but then REZ, Ikaruga and a bunch of others have been alright... very much a mixed bag

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 15:16:00 PM »
I voted YES from initial reaction... but probably should have voted 'Depends on the game!'

You can change your vote ;)

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 15:19:53 PM »
Quote from: "Vyothric"
improve the graphics and add new features. (online leaderboards, online multiplayer, new levels, etc)

I don't see how any of these are improvements.

Multiplayer is probably the biggest improvement they offer... Spelunker HD adds local/online multiplayer modes - racing each other through the caves, Bubble Bobble Plus supports four player chaos, 90's Capcom fighting games now offer online opponents, etc.

To me, just having a graphics makeover isn't the biggest selling point. But if they make an effort to add something that the original doesn't have then I'm happy to spend $5-$10 for the 'upgrade'.

EDIT: Vote changed. :)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 15:55:31 PM »
Great thread, as a buyer of a lot of these, both in terms of physical and downloads, i have 'mixed feelings'.

Things like Perfect Dark on 360, Shadow Of The Col. on PS3, both were fantastic games on their original platforms, but asked just that little bit too much of the hardware and frame rate suffered, so by bringing them to newer, more powerful hardware, perhaps we are seeing the developers true vision given form? (I'd love to see Burning Rangers get a HD remake), but in case of Perfect Dark (and indeed Halo Anniv.), the FPS genre has long moved on and whilst i poured hours into the HD remakes, games felt 'tired' in terms of gameplay, somewhat.

Then there's Silent Hill 2 and Res.Evil 4, bought both, niether 'true' HD remakes, but the games themselves i found FAr better than later instalments, so very much enjoyed playing them on todays hardware (my Game cube looks awful on my LCD TV, so played Res.4 on PS3, whilst not looking amazing, was far better solution than hooking up my GC).

MGS HD Collection-Peace Walker is 1 of my all time fav.games, EVER, yet that torture QTE was an absurd game mechanic on PSP-So, you want me to hammer the 10 bells of shit out of the buttons on a handheld? feck off-but put that mechanic on a dual shock and i've nO issues.Plus i got to do co-op missions with friends online on PSN on the PS3 version, which was wonderous! so huge bonus.

Oddworld:Strangers w. looked superb, great to see game given a 2nd shot at sucsess, opened up to newer, wider auidance.

I'd never bothered with Jak and Daxter on PS2, yet bought the PS3 HD collection, looking forward to trying, same for God Of War 2, had'nt played on PS2, bought on PS3, loved every minute.

My feelings are:IF your going to do an HD remake or indeed any remake, just changing the graphics is NOT enough.Don't just upscale Xbox code (Doom 3 BFG edition!) give to someone to knock out an upscaled port, get someone with the skill and passion to do the remake, who understood the original, use the potential say online or 2nd screen offers to enhance.

Loved MGS:Twin Snakes and Res.Evil Remake on G.C as they did'nt just add graphical remake, but newer gameplay elements etc.

1 thing that has struck me with HD remakes-Just how much of a games original source code has been lost!.

Offline Vyothric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 16:03:14 PM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
playing these old games with a modern controller can make a world of difference.

Modern controllers?  :o

The only time I can think of where this would be a good thing is with old PC FPS games and being able to use mouse-look. But there are several solutions to this already with things like zDoom and DarkXL.

That kind of thing I would be fine with, but will never happen - The same game released on the original system with maybe 1 or 2 small changes. Maybe tone-down the graphics so the framerate is higher.

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 16:13:47 PM »
It really depends on the game, I guess. On one hand, you've got ports like Crazy Taxi, which are mostly identical to the actual game. On the other hand, you've always got the possibility of messing up royally, like they did with the Turtles in Time remake. Let's compare, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70oQu-_0nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAxu7-7I1o

This new version right here? Pretty much all the charm of the original spritework's gone, the controls don't feel right because you're not constantly facing horizontally like the original game, and... the music, man! That's not cool! Even worse, they didn't even bother using anything from the vastly superior SNES version.

On the other hand, here's Lode Runner for the 360. Not the greatest Lode Runner game, I will admit, that'd probably go to Lode Runner Online on the PC. But it's decently enjoyable, for what I played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u0sa9q6rIQ

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 16:25:37 PM »
Quote from: "Vyothric"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
playing these old games with a modern controller can make a world of difference.

Modern controllers?  :o

The only time I can think of where this would be a good thing is with old PC FPS games and being able to use mouse-look. But there are several solutions to this already with things like zDoom and DarkXL.

That kind of thing I would be fine with, but will never happen - The same game released on the original system with maybe 1 or 2 small changes. Maybe tone-down the graphics so the framerate is higher.

Yes modern controllers!
Take the HD remake of Bionic Commando. I for one would much rather play this game with my 360 controller then that tiny square NES controller.  Sorry but some of the old controllers haven't exactly aged very well.

Offline Minerals

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/mineralsuk
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 19:25:28 PM »
Depends on the game.....as with most retro remakes, they are only good if they add something new to the original gameplay.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:28 AM »
While I've not bought many HD remakes I'm not against the practice as long as it's done well and for a fair, i.e. low, price.

With that in mind I've been delighted with the HD remakes of the likes of Space Channel 5 Part II, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Daytona USA, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure 2 and to lesser extent Crazy Taxi too.

If I owned an Xbox 360 then I'd have snapped up the likes of Rez HD and the HD remake of Ikaruga off XBLA long ago.

What I find distasteful is when the likes of Konami have released the Metal Gear Solid HD remakes compilation that doesn't include, er, Metal Gear Solid... while that game can be purchased separately on PSN and thanks to the nature of PS emulation on PS3 (and I think on PS Vita and possibly PSP too) it looks better than it did on PS. Would it really have been that much trouble to include an HD remake of the game on a compilation featuring its name? I say no!

If a publisher wishes to charge top dollar for an HD remake then it had better be a true remake in HD and not just a lazy effort using much of the same assets from the source material that have been upscaled to 'HD'.

Even if done properly I still think it's cheeky to charge top dollar. The likes of The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D really shouldn't have been priced as a full price 3DS game and the upcoming The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac