Author Topic: Diary of a Lemmings Book  (Read 5531 times)

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
Diary of a Lemmings Book
« on: January 20, 2013, 18:51:58 PM »
Hi all,
Thought I'd start a little diary of my next publication which is based on the game "Lemmings" Its only been a week into the planning stages, but I'm planning to publish in the autumn, this will give me time to photograph, scan, database all the games along with other new sections, interview, quotes etc

I'll post what I've been upto once a week with any updates, so I'll start today with this weeks update.

I ask for now to not spread the word, just want to keep you guys in the loop for now incase someone beats me to it.

Since my last book was published on lulu.com they have raised their prices to publish so this book will probably be sold through Amazon, I may look at other revenues closer to the time.

Week 1 (20/1/13)
Been a busy first week, as with most new projects eager to get the ball rolling, as mentioned above been looking for other publishers to publish as publishing myself is too risky to pay upfront for a number of books that aren't certain to sell and I'm in no position to list on Kickstarter!

Taken first 40 or so Lemmings set photos, yes I have taken some before as you may have seen on my blog, but these are more professional with my wifes new Canon 60D camera on tripod and white backdrop, after an aching back and 1 1/2 hours later it was time for bed!
Next day I transferred said photos to laptop for some PSP4 treatment, bare in mind each photo is 30mb each my laptop done rather well to not freeze up! I then removed backgrounds from the photos which is rather a slow process but will be worth it in the end as it will leave me with a sharp png image that can be placed on any background.
Anyway so far I'm half way through these photos, will do more tomorrow.

The more exciting news so far, is I've been contacting programming legends and gaming legends via email and twitter asking for quotes of their memories of the game, had a great response so far, contacted 40 or so and had 18 replies so far in 4 days, so will have plenty of quotes by the time I put them in the book!

Lastly I've been getting ready to contact the original DMA Design team and those who worked on the game for an Interview, just finishing up some questions, (if you guys have a question regarding Lemmings let me know here before the end of January)

That's it till next week!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Diary of a Lemmings Book
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 21:36:24 PM »
Cool!  Thanks for posting about it here.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 22:13:03 PM »
Nice one fella, looking forward to how the progress on this go's.

What made you want to release another book?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 23:17:21 PM »
Several reasons really, for me personally Im a tidy person, so to have everything about Lemmings in one book is another way of collecting all my knowledge and pictures and putting it all in one book.
In another way I can show my son, and grandchild when he's old enough and probably when blogger has bitten the dust it's something to keep.
And I suppose the feeling when the proof copy arrives, its a good buzz that's something you created.
That's kinda why I'm not gonna rush it out in 2-3 months, I've given myself 8-9 months to get it right and enjoy doing it and not putting pressure on myself, that's why I'm not spreading the word right now, just giving you guys the word on what I'm working on.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 23:01:45 PM »
So much for the updates! Anyway after a short break, been busy with new conservatory and make over of garden..I've this week had time to carry on, and again why I stated an autumn  release so to give me plenty of time inbetween normal stuff!
This week I've designed the page layouts for the Lemmings port pages, obviously had to get these right otherwise it would be too much to redo all these pages if I change my mind later on.
More photo editing being done slowly, more ports being added to my collection, last count 60-65 in my collection so still a few to go yet.
Quotes are coming along nicely and Interview is stalled atm, well I've been in contact with 4 main members who have agreed to the interview and the questions have been sent but no replys back as of yet, hopefully sooner rather than later!
Till next time!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 23:15:48 PM »
Awesome!

Look forward to hearing more about it!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 00:53:36 AM »
Nice one fella. Good to see your still plugging away at it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »
Believe me I know how you feel regards to getting things done, I've been working on that Arcade Book now for over a year  :)

and delighted to hear your still at large with it.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
Cheers guys, yeah feels a way off yet because I'm doing all the groundwork first I.e pictures and layouts and waiting for interview and getting quotes and buying more version etc lol but yeah once I start building the pages it will be a quicker and easier process because of it.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »
Quote from: "AmigaJay"
once I start building the pages it will be a quicker and easier process because of it.

that's what I thought too...lol...your in for a surprise  :36:

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 17:03:42 PM »
I am still working on this to keep you upto date, was taking too long editing all the photos, so I bite the bullet bought some green cloth and retook the whole lot again! Will save time I the end...

I have enough quotes to fill 4 pages now so unless anyone else gets back to e that section is done.

Interview wise I have two people reply, hoping to get 3 more, in contact with 2 of them hopefully get back to me soon.

Page wise it's progressing, but it's the small details I put on each page that might not seem alot but add some more info that takes the time to search for i.e review scores etc

Picture wise I would say I'm 75% done on the box set pictures, screenshot wise 85-90% just need to screengrab some of the more obscure version ones.

So getting there slowly, but with the summer coming I do tend to slow down and enjoy outdoors more so I don't expect big updates until September where I normally have a 6-8 week slog at completing it in time for a October/November release....well hopefully!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 17:24:15 PM »
Glad to hear this is coming along fella. When do you think it will be ready for release.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 18:37:42 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
Glad to hear this is coming along fella. When do you think it will be ready for release.
Well late Oct, early November hopefully...though I don't want to promise a date until I get the book the way I want it otherwise it will 'feel' incomplete and rushed  :113:

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 18:51:58 PM »
PM'ed you-ref those reviews etc i have.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 19:03:56 PM »
Great stuff mate, look forward to it!  :113: