Author Topic: Movies that you'll never likely tire of viewing  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
Re: Movies that you'll never likely tire of viewing
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 23:45:43 PM »
Ooh...there are a few I never tire of, namely.

Alien
American Werewolf in London
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Conan the Barbarian
Ghostbusters
Die Hard
Flight of the Navigator
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Kairo
Nightbreed
Peeping Tom
Poltergeist
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars 4-6
The Beyond
The Fog (John Carpenters)
The Mist
The Thing (John Carpenters)

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »
Quote from: "Tachi"
Cracking movie! The scene in the London Underground and the soundtrack are perhaps what I recall most clearly when thinking of it.

A favourite of the late Michael Jackson who after seeing the movie persuaded its director John Landis to direct the legendary movie short music video for the song Thriller.

Flight of the Navigator
Love that movie and I still remember seeing it at the cinema all those years ago. Proof positive that special effects aren't always needed if the cinematography is up to scratch. I'm tempted to pick up the Blu-ray Disc just to witness those amazing flight scenes at their majestic best. A charming and refreshingly simple storyline too.

Another classic that very nearly made my list. I bought the critically acclaimed Blu-ray Disc release a couple of years ago and it looks phenomenally good.
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 16:27:03 PM »
Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"
Cracking movie! The scene in the London Underground and the soundtrack are perhaps what I recall most clearly when thinking of it.

I think this was the first Horror movie I really really loved and even to this day it is proof that horror movies can be exciting, engrossing and scary without the need to show excessive gore.

Flight of the Navigator
Love that movie and I still remember seeing it at the cinema all those years ago. Proof positive that special effects aren't always needed if the cinematography is up to scratch. I'm tempted to pick up the Blu-ray Disc just to witness those amazing flight scenes at their majestic best. A charming and refreshingly simple storyline too.

Personally I find the story extremely deep and mature for a 'kids' film, the child dealing with his world having changed in his absence and the way he is treated like a lab experiment.
Sad to think that the last anyone heard of the actor was a Canadian arrest warrant for multiple cases of fraud :(

Offline Katzkatz

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 17:12:01 PM »
Quote from: "dougtitchmarsh"

Mona Lisa

Yep, another good film from the now sadly defunct Handmade Films.  Another great performance from Bob Hoskins.  Cathy Tyson, Robbie Coltrane and Michael Caine, as Mortwell, are great in it.  Great cinematic images in that : the gleaming Jaguar that Hoskins drives, the contra zoom used for the elevator escape, the stuff on Brighton pier, etc.  It can stand alongside Hoskins' other British film 'The Long Good Friday'.  Nice to see it included.

The transformation scene in that film is amasing - even in this day and age of CGI.  The creature effects are still top notch, in my opinion.  Great stuff from Landis and co.

Peeping Tom

Interesting film from Michael Powell.  Gets labelled as a 'British Psycho', but it isn't.  It is more a tale about voyeurism and obsession.  It gets a bad wrap, namely because it gets accused of killing off Michael Powell's career. 

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Yep, love this film.  I'm not really a Spielberg fan(as I think I mentioned).  I find a lot of his work too sentimental and emotionally manipulative.  'Raiders' has a lot going for it.  I like how it was sort of inspired by the early James Bond films.  Indy gets assigned a mission to hunt down the Ark.  Along the way he has many adventures and meets an old flame.  Great set pieces, stirring music, cinematography and stunt work(that truck chase scene is still amasing).  They got the first film so right, the sequels had a hard time because of that. 

Yeah, an interesting film.  Spielberg went down the more cerebral sci-fi route for that film.  Plus, that classic music.  Don't forget the spaceship at the end with R2-D2 hanging upside down on part of it. 

Offline Big Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »
I'm going to have to throw a few in here which haven't been mentioned. May have missed so apologies if I have....

True Romance
First Blood
Predator
Goodfellas
Kung Fu Hustle
The Punisher - Thomas Jane

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 15:00:41 PM »
Quote from: "Big Phil"
I'm going to have to throw a few in here which haven't been mentioned. May have missed so apologies if I have....

True Romance
First Blood
Predator
Goodfellas
Kung Fu Hustle
The Punisher - Thomas Jane

Definitely agree with True Romance. Love that movie and watched it many times!