Author Topic: Xenophobe  (Read 1582 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Xenophobe
« on: November 18, 2012, 19:40:04 PM »
As you all know I am currently working on an article for Retro Gamer about Imagitec Design.

One of the games they worked on was the home computer ports of Xenophobe. The game was released by Micro Style and came with an audio cassette featuring a wonderful remix of the arcade game's music.

I was speaking with Barry Leitch who composed the music and asked him if he happened to have a digital version of the music and he did! So here it is in all it's glory made into a video by me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfGsPJmVKv8

It was made using 4 Commodore Amigas which each played a different part of the music. Imagitec had to create a special interface that started all 4 computers playing at the same time in order to record it!

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Xenophobe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:07 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks for posting!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Xenophobe
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
Great stuff fella. Cheers for getting hold of that.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 16:11:39 PM »
Barry Leitch is an amazing musician, I didn't realise until I was writing my article just how many great pieces of music he did.

It was a shame the Lynx version of Xenophobe never had this music!

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 23:12:09 PM »
I like that track.  I kind of feel like I've missed out.  Xenophobe is one of those games that has passed me by.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 23:20:07 PM »
Quote from: "Mire Mare"
I like that track.  I kind of feel like I've missed out.  Xenophobe is one of those games that has passed me by.

I stongly suggest playing it. It's a brilliant game and got excellent home conversions pretty much across the board.

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 23:44:11 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

I stongly suggest playing it. It's a brilliant game and got excellent home conversions pretty much across the board.
Ok, I'll check it out.  I've got a Friday evening to myself this week and I'm planning on playing some games so I'll see if I can get hold of Xenophobe.  Cheers!

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 19:31:24 PM »
Gets better everyone I listen to it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 23:04:35 PM »
The Atari ST version has a simplified but also brilliant rendition of the music throughout the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosvasYgILc

The C64 has a rather good version of the music too (also by Barry Leitch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHeh9Npno8

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 14:05:33 PM »
I picked this up at an outdoor market in the 90s and playd that CD to death lol
The starting "Welcome to Xenephobe" always amazed me at how clear it was!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 14:44:44 PM »
Quote from: "Tachi"

That is actually one of the other programmers at Imagitec saying that!  8)

Offline Tachi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 14:58:05 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Tachi"

That is actually one of the other programmers at Imagitec saying that!  8)

That's so cool :)

Offline Mire Mare

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 20:46:45 PM »
I spent some time playing various versions of Xenophobe a few weeks ago. 

Firstly the arcade version, then the Amiga, then the C64.  I didn't get on with the coin-op at all.  The small frame showing the action felt too small on my pc screen and I couldn't get a control configuration I liked.  The Amiga and C64 was much better!  I spent longest with the C64 version, no brainer for me, and have to say I started to quite enjoy it.  It looks good and plays well - once I got the controls sorted!  I have no rose tints through which to view this and I felt it got repetitive after a while.  I may go back to it during the Christmas holidays.

I quite fancy trying the LYNX version, But I'd need to go and buy a LYNX.  Seems the rom doesn't run.  PMs accepted in relation to this!  ;)

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 20:55:20 PM »

Firstly the arcade version, then the Amiga, then the C64.  I didn't get on with the coin-op at all.  The small frame showing the action felt too small on my pc screen and I couldn't get a control configuration I liked.  The Amiga and C64 was much better!  I spent longest with the C64 version, no brainer for me, and have to say I started to quite enjoy it.  It looks good and plays well - once I got the controls sorted!  I have no rose tints through which to view this and I felt it got repetitive after a while.  I may go back to it during the Christmas holidays.

I quite fancy trying the LYNX version, But I'd need to go and buy a LYNX.  Seems the rom doesn't run.  PMs accepted in relation to this!  ;)

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 20:55:50 PM »

Thread bump, but just been looking at Zzap 64's review of Amiga and C64 versions.

They did'nt go over board on either, with C64 pulling in 68% with comment calling it ' A brilliantly presented, but not espically well structured shoot-em-up'

Amiga 62% 'A competent conversion of a medicore coin-op'.

2 reviewers 1st had never played arcade game, said game seemed to promise a lot, just was'nt enough variety to break up the basic blasting action, other had seen it in arcades, but never bothered to play it and then goes onto describe it as not being the best of coin-ops to begin with...

Well, how would he know? he admits he's never played it!!!.