Author Topic: Sega's Downfall  (Read 771 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sega's Downfall
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
I think the ultimate downfall of Sega is that they should have licensed more of their games. If they did I am sure they would still be a powerhouse today.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
Re: Altered Beast
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 18:15:10 PM »
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
Re: Sega's Downfall
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 22:34:28 PM »
As for downfall of Sega? how long you got....MCD was ripe for so many Super scalar arcade conversions, Sega plumped for FMV instead...Sega thought they were untouchable in 32-Bit hardware realm due to dominance (along with Namco) in Arcades.Enter Sony with huge resources, cash wise and 1 wake up call later.

32X and Nomad were costly mistakes, Sega's treatment of 3rd parties and suppliers was awful...

Saturn Hardware took a lot of flak, some of it rightfully so (single chip solution was offered to Sega by Silicon Graphics, they turned it down, went dual chip route, complete with poor dev.tools etc), but some of it unfairly so.PS1  might well have topped it in area of 3D and lighting effects, but Saturn was'nt as media would have folks believe 'rubbish' at 3D, it just needed the time to be written for, by capable programming teams.

Use of Quads when everyone was using Polygons was scoffed at, but...Quads did do away with the texture warping PS suffered from.

But as a MD+MCD owner, i went Playstation route, as lost faith in Sega with MCD and the 32X just seemed cynical attempt to get more cash from me.

Went back to them for Dreamcast, but it never stood a chance again'st what people expected PS2 to deliver:all these hyperbole claims of T2/Toy Story movie quality visuals, Emotion Engine, chips so powerful in wrong hands they could be used for missile Guidance/process Nuclear material etc etc.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
Re: Sega's Downfall
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 19:47:24 PM »
Some really good points. I think the old spread too thin was Sega's downfall. They sold a console, cd unit, two handhelds - GameGear and portable Genesis/Mega Drive, 32X add-on and who knows what the Pico was supposed to replace. Then the Saturn came just after the others.

They should have supported the 16-bit longer and delayed every other project.